Jetting FMF fatty's

tonyown

Have you held your hand behind the right side exhaust pipe? Does oil spew right out of it? If you are smoking as bad as you describe, may have a bad crank seal.

yep oil definitley spits out. that would happen when its rich tho too dontcha think? but yea like i cant rev it with it facing my truck or i get oil on my door. are there any other checks for the crank seal?

What is the elevation where you are riding?

That plays a big factor. The closer to sea level that you are

the richer you need to be on your jetting.

You said you have vito's needles in there. Those will definately make

it richer than the stockers. And yes it will shoot oil out of your pipes

if you are rich. My bike did it when I first got it and I fixed that through

jetting.

You can do a leak down test on the engine. YOu have to take your carbs and pipes

off and plug the intakes and exhaust ports well. Stick a gauge in there and, I think

you put 5psi and let it sit for 5 minutes. If it drops a lb or more per minute you

have bad crank seals. Keep an eye on the oil level in your tranny.

:beer:

yea im just about sea level, thats why it baffles me that im needing such small jets. maybe ur right about the needles doing it. the quad is an 04 and i really have not ridden it much at all so id be astounded if the crank seals were bad unless it happened when i overheated it. im waiting for a carb boot that i lost to come in from the yamaha stealership on wed. then ill pick up some 230 and 240 jets. We'll see if that makes it perfect cuz i really am close with the 25 pilot and 260 main.

I gotta tell you that CFM airbox i got off ebay is totally pimp. got that installed the other day and it looks great. I just dont know why they didnt drill holes in the bottom...had to do that myself.

• 14 years later...