Trouble with Engine. One Side hotter than the other. More smoke coming from one Silencer

Qliphoth

Hi Folks! i have some trouble with the engine. i hope, someone of the experts here can help me out to find the issue.

yesterday, i was on a ride, left almost 100 miles behind. several stops at gas stations, having cigarettes and drinking coffee at my favorite places offroad, the usual things i like to do when i'm on track. when i was heading home after two hours, around 150 meters before i arrived (fortunately) , the Banshee behaved weird. almost as if i was riding with choke fully engaged. slow accelerating and bad throttle response. i think you guys know about what i mean.

i inspected this closer at home after the engine cooled down for thirty minutes. the engine startet good with one kick, but RPM was very slow, almost dying off. i turned the engine off after 2-3 minutes idling. the first thing i noticed was, the left Silencer was smoking more than the right one, but not a very thick smoke. on the right side it was barely visible actually. also i noticed, the left exhaust manifold/pipe was hotter than the right one, im mean a great deal hotter, only after 2-3 minutes idling with a little throttle play. the right one was just a little warm instead, almost cold actually. the last thing i did was inspecting the the spark plugs and made a compression test before it was getting dark. the color of the spark plugs were pretty much equal on both, a little rich. i used brand new plugs afterwards. i got about 120 PSI on both cylinders. i did that not 100% perfect, because engine was running before and i forgot to wide open throttle during the check with that budget comp tester. but at least the PSI is within a acceptable range, without much tolerances between both. another thing i noticed was, when i removed the spark plugs, there was smoke coming out of the left cylinder plug hole. on the right one there was nothing visible. actually not a big surprise when the right side is getting hot af. i also put a little start-up spray stuff on the intake socket and nearby the left carb to find a possible leak. but in hurry and not with much care, so the engine wasn't reacting to it

i'm far away of being an expert, so i don't know exactly what this means. my feeling is, there must be something wrong with the left side. but it could be the right side too..who knows! what does it mean, when the left side is getting hotter than the other, accompanied with more smoke out of the silencer? could it be just the carb, a bad intake, even the ignition coil or is it the piston itself? or a combination of several? btw...there's a little gasoline on the engine case below the left carb. but there was before, when the engine did not had those issues. to relativize this, i thought, it was coming out of the overflow during rough offroad rides. after me, the deluge^^

before the frickin cylinders need to be removed or even breaking up the whole egine, i want to rule out other possibilities first. maybe it's not too late and the issue lies somewhere else. a less serious thing hopefully. i'm very thankful to get tips from you, were i should look first!

a few more- or less important infos about the setup and also my driving style

It's a 2006 Banshee bone stock. snorkel removed and Pro Circuit foam filter (oiled with K&N) with AF Box adaptor. main jets size "220" now. air screws 2 turns out as described in the service manual. the carbs are still in sync as i can tell. they moving equal. the vehicle is moving at about hundred meters sea level or below. temperatures is not below 20° celsius. mixture 33:1 premium Synthetic Oil and standart gasoline 95 octane. when i drive longer distances (as described above), i don't do that without several breaks between. full throttle for a long period of time and engine brake is a no go!

I'd say rt sides not firing.

Cold= not firing and You said rt side hot af i assume you meant left? So ill say (cold) 

Assuming your pipes not full of gas now-

1Check that rt (cold side) carb has fuel in it

2 swap plug wires & see if rt ( cold) gets hot & left cold.

3rd after putting back,

Pull choke on rt side ( cold side)& see if it gets hot with choke pulled.

Or if you can get fuel to the rt( cold) side intake

4th clean ( atleast rt) carb.

( for now)

• Like 1

hello 375hp. many thanks for your support!

stator side gets too hot after 2-3 minutes idling and clutch side is firing, but stays cold/lukewarm. 

the left exhaust pipe gets too hot in my opinion, just after a few minutes idling, as if i was riding for 20 minutes or so. especially nearby the motor housing i can't touch it with bare hands. i don't know whether this is normal or not. at least i did not noticed this before^^

i'll will follow your advice. cleaning jets and everything else inside the carbs is already on Top on my list. swapping coil wires and the choke test follows after the carbs cleaning. maybe there is something clogged, especially one pilot jet and the left cylinder gets not enough gasoline either, or even too much, running too hot as a result of this. or it's the other way around- quite hot after a couple of minutes idle is normal and cold is bad :D

i'll find out tomorrow i hope. the quad is parked inside the garage of relatives miles away from actual home address, because of lack of space. this sucks, but better than standing somewhere outside. 

i was writing a whole Book just to find out that the Pilot Jet in the right Carb was clogged lol!

you were right 375hp (Cold= not firing). so not the Left side, as i guessed caused the trouble but the right one.

but the Jet was not completely clogged. a tiny bit of light shined through. that's probably the reason why the right cylinder was not completeley dead. 

once i had clogged Pilot Jet on the Left Carb where the Choke is, but nothing worked anymore strangely enough!

anyways...i've learned something new to this :D

it looks like something on the Carb is not right. almost 3 liters of gasoline were leaking out of the overflow. the Pilot jet was clogged again too.

when i looked into the tank, i saw that one of the Filters of the Fuel Cock has a hole in it. i ordered a Carb Rebuild Kit from Moose and a new Fuel Cock. hope this will fix it

i think i found the problem why it's leaking. the O-rings on the needle seats are worn. when i cleaned the carbs, i removed the needle seats and put them into carb cleaner too along the other parts for 15 minutes. i had to squeeze them quite strong back into its holes and the O Rings partly peeled off by this. i'll avoid that in future. as long the o-rings of needle seats don't need to be replaced, there's no reason to remove them just for cleaning carbs. but there must be something else, probably the the needle itself is worn out too, causing the right engine side not working properly. i'll find out in a couple of days.

Edited by Qliphoth