My project so far:

Where I am at so far. Definitely open to critiques, advice and tips.

I bought this ‘99 banshee as a basket case barn find. Had always wanted one but had never even sat on one.

Biggest change I’ve made so far is the front end. I bought American Star A Arms because they were less expensive than others. But they hold up well.

+2+1 a arms with 4deg camber and 4.5 caster. Toe is set 1/4 in. Total width (front and rear) 48.5”.

I ride on some pretty rough trails, tree roots, ruts, rocks, etc so ride height is set higher but the +2 a arms make the quad really stable and the camber has been working very well.

I have Elka stage 2 shocks. Not sure if they could be better but they are way better than the stockers. I am running 22x11-10 Holeshot XCT rears and 23x7-10 GBC XC Masters on DWT red label wheels. Going to change to SS wheels I think. The DWs were already on the quad. I’ve dropped a tooth in the front but need a new chain before I can see if I like it. Just changed the sprocket and the chain is too loose to adjust.

Went with the TM Designworks chain rollers and guides and a Moose rear skid plate. Had to cut the skid plate to mount it with the TM rear guide. Also had to countersink the mounting hole closest to the sprocket as the bolt thread bosses on the sprocket hub were very close to the bolt head on the skid plate. Counter sinking and using a flat head cap screw fixed that.

Had to cut the swing arm off to replace the bolt, sleeve, caps, bearings and seals. But caked it with antiseize and synthetic grease. When I change to the roundhouse swinger, at least I will be able to remove the swingarm more easily.

Replaced all of the seals outside of the cases (counter shaft, shift shaft and kick start). Fixed the kicker rattle while I was at it with an added spring.

Bought a full OEM seat brand new. Not just the cover. I have the old seat for mud riding.

STB wiring harness, deleted the tors, key, parking break. No extra wires.

Oversized radiator from eBay, billet impeller, HPS hoses.

Got rid of the vent hoses and the overflow res. New brake lines all around, rebuilt both master cylinders and all calipers. Someone at some point put something really weird in the brake fluid. Looked like milk and sand.

Got rid of the rock guards. They kept more in than they kept out. Looks better too.

Those are things I’ve done so far.

I want to get a set of Paul turner mids, 392 serval build with hot rod crank and not sure what I’ll do with the clutch. If feels fine the way it is, just want it more reliable. Shifting star feels like crap though. Shifts fine but something tells me it isn’t a great design.

Bottom end will definitely get a welded and true crank with a stock stroke. Read a lot of good things about hotrods.

Going with 33mm PWK carbs. More for the slides than ease of jetting.

I already have the timing plate but the timing will be advanced also.

It’s basically all trails out where I live. Low and mid range riding more than anything. Not many places around to open it up like on MX tracks or dunes.

Going with a stock length (or -1) swing arm. The stock arm is junk. Mine is bent and the axle sits at an angle instead of perpendicular to the pivot tube. It’s annoying to look at. Why round house swingers aren’t standard is beyond me. The roundhouse is seriously one of the best ideas I’ve ever seen.

As far as looks go... black and blue. Going to buy another frame and have that PCed black.

But for now... 0a0d782efa9acaf659e280fbbd040427.jpg

aa2bc0216a5d4395b2bc3ef65d6edb91.jpg

0ac7305e090661e7f53c1ec210ffa005.jpg

4a4ea12360002ecfdcaecccc6977f3a5.jpg

e639b5a32ed8d3eab7bbc67e18d62abb.jpg

685b14e23105a9ff212b87aff6309198.jpg

494b3518174aabee98e250e3e07ce03b.jpg

f8a7c64b339c74751875eeedbc75b92d.jpg

9abd26a14d7b3a8d75f0ecdd24ab2266.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go 4 mil serval. The larger crank will add more off the whole rev range. You’ll have all the power you want. Your carb setup will work perfect with it

Sounds like a plan

Swingarm. 4mm Serval or Driveline. Then you will really be in business.

Ordering the 4mm hotrods crank from FAST. I’ll have to buy it in bits and pieces but plan on doing a full build over the winter. Planning on the driveline cylinder kit next. I like that they jugs are nikasil and they already have the pistons matched. Swingarm is a definite. Stock swinger is trash. Can’t believe Yamaha kept this design on it throughout the life of the model.