Swing arm pivot bolt questions...

Metal_man_Rob

I found a nightmare under that garbage swing arm seal guard chain roller garbage when I cut it off for the TM chain guide. So...

I have seen talk of setting the swingarm bolt up with a zerk fitting to allow for future greasing. But haven’t found threads with results by people who have done it.

Does anybody know if the bolt is hardened or case hardened? I am going to do the grease fitting mod but not putting a tap into hardened steel.

I am also going to bring grease runners along the length that intercept the grease holes I will be drilling into the shaft.

And that is after I remove what I assume is going to be a pain in the ass to remove bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just anti seize the shit out of bolt & sleeve.
I think most just make outer tube /swingarm greasable

For now I have to get it out. Have been soaking it in Kroil every time I walk past it. Smacked it so much with my 5lb that the nut I left on the end of the bolt actually jumped threads. (I have a new bolt anyway.

Going to try a couple of things. Threaded rod through the center with a good built up of nuts and washers on the threaded end. An impact socket over the head on the other end with a few washers. The socket will clear the bolt head. The washers will disperse force. Then put a nut down to the washers and righted as much as puss I left. Have a couple feet of rod remaining so I can put a 10lb weight over the rod and then thread more shit on the end and hammer the fuck out of it like a pull hammer.

Then get my car jack. If the threaded rod idea doesn’t work I am just going to start smashing shot in my garage with the car jack. Fuck that Harley!

Keep the nut on loose( to spare the threads,) and smack it, and then hit the head of the bolt/ nut Back & forth, lubing as you go

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Yeah those threads are gone. Haha. The nut was made out of apple juice and wasp nests, I think. I kept it on about flush with the end of the bolt. The nut is pulverized and actually jumped threads so the bolt is trashed too. But I’d already ordered the swing arm goodies and the new bolt before I started all of this. I knew it would be a twat to remove so considered cutting it out beforehand. I just ordered a sawzall. Haha.
Someone has had it off before because the washer under the bolt head is not OEM.
I saw these carbon fiber bushings on (cough cough) Vito’s that have a lifetime warranty and are used instead of the bearings. Ever hear anything about those?

I wouldn't give him shit...just anti seize the shit outa the tube @re-assembly

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Right on, man. I’ve honestly stayed away from Vitos since I got on this site.
I grabbed a big tube of anti-seize.

One thing that is f**king with my head is that I can turn the bolt which makes sense but I can’t move the swingarm side to side over the bolt/spacer assembly but I can’t move the bolt out. This makes no sense. If it was welded to the frame I wouldn’t be able to turn it and if I can move the swing arm pivot side to side, the bolt should move in or out at least to the same limit as the swing arm side to side movement. Based on what’s in there... it’s not as much frustrating as it is intriguing. The end cap on the left side spins but the other one doesn’t move. I can’t imagine that flimsy cap would hold that bolt with the nightmare I just put it through. Lol.
I’m cutting that bitch off. F**k it.