Bogs off idle, flooding...

Just fully rebuilt carbs. It bogs off idle, will die, flood and soak the plugs so can’t start it again for a while.

I synced the carbs at idle with the sync tool and also using the windows. Carbs run in sync through the rev range.

I am using Yama 2 S for now.

It will idle great but it will bog off idle til I clear it out. If I choke it fully it will flood. Pulled the plugs and they were soaked.

Idle screws are out 2 turns but still acts this way even if I am 4 turns out.

So...

Specs and settings:

-Stock size,

-compression at 115 and even, cleaned everything and have no air leaks.

-All of the tuning has been with no box or filter on but I am jetted to run K&N single in the air box with lid on.

-Toomey T5

-Mik VM28 carbs

-VForce 4 reed valves (cages and reeds) with moose OEM manifolds.

-TORS deleted

Settings:

-280 main, 25 pilot, Toomey needle on #4.

-Floats are well adjusted, all lines and vents new, carbs fully cleaned and rebuilt.

-38 degrees Fahrenheit, Elev 600ft asl.

Should I be adjusting my needle at this point? Again, idles fine but gets bogged off idle til I clear it up really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I just want to say Mikunis are junk.. Seems we rarely see tuning issues with PWK.

Second, this sticks out to me.

"All of the tuning has been with no box or filter on but I am jetted to run K&N single in the air box with lid on."

You've tuned the bike for max air flow and then restricted it by adding the filter and lid. You're way too rich. Drop the main to a 250 and see how it reacts.

I have also heard of issues with Toomey needles. I would consider going back to the Mikuni needles.

I'll agree.

I've always preferred stock needles. And Toomey's jetting recommendations (280) is with 10 of their little crap vents in the box, which they told me is equivalent to no lid.

Anyway, I run T5's, stock carbs, 280s, stock needle, EHC Racing lid screen, (the equivalent of no lid), 25pilots, 1000", no bog.

No... the bike is tuned to run the box and filter but I am doing the carb sync, idle and air with the box off.
Mikuni Carbs are far from junk but definitely more of an asshole to tune.
I am unfamiliar with 2 strokes as well as direct cable to slide carbs which seem to need more critical attention to jetting and adjustments than CV carbs so it is a learning curve.
Perhaps Keihin nailed it on direct slide while mikuni nailed it on CV carbs. Maybe I should switch to the PWK carbs everybody seems to love or switch to a single mikuni CV.
For now I want to tune these then post my next question.

Hence why I said Mikuni are junk. You just don't see these types of tuning issues with PWK. They are few and far between.
Swap the needles first and see if it makes a difference. Put the clip in the middle.

I’m already on it. Haha. I can’t buy the PWKs yet. Have already spent too much and my wife is starting to get funny with me.

5 minutes ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

I've never had a problem with stock carbs on a stockish bike. I always thought tuning was very forgiving. That being said, I can't even ride mine into the garage after washing if the filter is off. Bogs bad, and it's on the rich side.

I think the Toomey needles are a big part of his problem. I also think the main is a little rich also, especially for running a lid.

1 minute ago, locogato11283 said:

I think the Toomey needles are a big part of his problem. I also think the main is a little rich also, especially for running a lid.

Exactly. But the way I read it, he's trying to tune with no filter or box. Need to put it all together the way It's going to be ran.

• Like 1

Just now, hoppedupandcutdown said:

Exactly. But the way I read it, he's trying to tune with no filter or box. Need to put it all together the way It's going to be ran.

He said this above.. "No... the bike is tuned to run the box and filter but I am doing the carb sync, idle and air with the box off."

I'd have to disagree that the bike is tuned for all that. If it was, he wouldn't have made this post.

So I have the new stock needles in front of me. They are quite a bit shorter with what seems to be a slightly steeper grind. The Toomey needles were in the bike when I got it. Didn’t realize that, obviously, til I pulled the carbs apart and saw that the needles were the same as what I’d ordered from Toomey.
The stock needles came with the rebuild kit I bought so I am going to switch to those and start on 3.

I have not even come close to the main jet yet as I have been messing around in the
But out of all of the threads I’ve read here, not a single one, til now, mentions anything less than a 280 main for the same set up.
In fact most suggestions are for 290-310 mains and nothing I’ve seen has been under 280. But I will tackle that when I get there once I know the air, pilot and needle are right. Main jet is easy to change and I have a few here plus a jet kit coming.

If anything, I’ll run with the lid off if it’s enough on the main but I’ll have to do chops to see where I am at there.

But I’ll try the stock needles first. Also have 27.5 and 30 pilots coming.

1 minute ago, locogato11283 said:

He said this above.. "No... the bike is tuned to run the box and filter but I am doing the carb sync, idle and air with the box off."

I'd have to disagree that the bike is tuned for all that. If it was, he wouldn't have made this post.

Yes, I see, and agree with that. But with no filter or box/lid and 38° air, it'll bog when you crack those slides.

• Like 1

The bike was tuned for everything I have on it. The only difference is the VForce 4s.

Yes, I see, and agree with that. But with no filter or box/lid and 38° air, it'll bog when you crack those slides.

Again, I will say, out of all of the threads here, including the sticky about carb jetting and mods, you are the only one who has suggested a lower main and nothing about my post has anything to do with the main jet or 75%> tuning.
I appreciate the input. Seriously. Thanks. But you’re starting to answer questions I haven’t asked.