New suspension suggestions

Jmarchant

I've read posts on here for years but never posted anything. Love this forum and the vast amount of info I've gotten from it. So thanks to everyone on here.

I'm about to get new suspension and am looking for advice. I have about 1500 to spend, 2k if there's something legitimately worth it. 

The other option is to rebuild the old school works performance shocks I have now. They're pretty worn out. Any opinions are appreciated! 

11 minutes ago, Jmarchant said:

Shocks only front and rear. I had some 12.5 inch works performance shocks on it before that are hammered and am wondering if it'd be worth it to have them rebuild or just get a new package. The bikes been sitting for years needing rebuild and finally have the extra money to blow on it 

12.5in eye to eye? if so thats about 2in shorter than stock length shocks. if this is the case dump them as your loosing out on travel. you can buy a long travel set up from alba for 1450ish 

11 minutes ago, caleb90 said:

12.5in eye to eye? if so thats about 2in shorter than stock length shocks. if this is the case dump them as your loosing out on travel. you can buy a long travel set up from alba for 1450ish 

Yeah they're 14.5 eye to eye I don't know how I managed to write 12.5. 

6 hours ago, DDQ said:

I would certainly NOT rebuild those works shocks. Works steelers are not in the same class as Ohlins, Axis, PEP or even Elka. 

It is good that you have a big budget for shocks. Are you sure you will not be changing a-arm length? 

Search marketplace and the parts facebook groups and post anything you find here that is one of the above listed manufacturers and we will take a look.

You can probably find a pair of GOOD front shocks used for $600 or less and then you will need to spend about $300 to get them set up for you. They will perform like new after that. 

You can send your oem rear shock to the same suspension builder that services your front shocks and they can adjust the valving to better suit your needs. I do not think that an aftermarket rear shock is worth the cost over a properly set up oem rear shock.

I found a set of elka dune edition fronts for 700 but I think he'd take less. He said they're a few years old with minimal hrs. I cant find a ton of info on the difference between those and the dynasty elkas online. Is there a big difference?

4 hours ago, DDQ said:

What adjustments do they have? If they are very clean, have reserviors, have compression, preload and rebound adjustment AND you could get them for a little less it would not be a bad deal. Is the rear shock included? Got pics?

I think most of if not all the dune edition elkas were cheap shocks without reservoirs, though. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah you're right they don't have reservoirs. Ill keep looking around and let you know if I find anything else. Otherwise I may end up just end up buying a new set of elkas and having them adjusted. My motor should be done in about a month from now so its not super urgent. 

Edited by Jmarchant

• 4 months later...