If I started a part specific machine shop... would there be interest?

So first of all, custom or one piece parts are expensive. Shop hour are anywhere between $60 and $100. I'd also charge a flat rate for consultation, design, etc and offer guarantees and warrantys.

so with that in mind...

I have been a tool and die maker for a long time, did my apprenticeship under a German owned shop, 2 year degree in tool and die and a 1 year program for mechanical design.

My wife and I have been throwing around the idea that I could open up my own shop. Cylinder Boring is something I can do. I bore, hone, turn, mill and grind to tolerances of +/-.0001 inches or .0025mm every day. So skills are there. I am good at what I do.

The problem of starting a machine shop is most niches are already serviced. I have made stamping dies, jigs, fixtures and gages for the auto, aerospace, military, medical, household products etc. industries but have never seen a machine shop that does specific pieces, mods, etc. They are out there but I have never seen a shop like that which tells me two things... no money in it or people just haven't done it.

What I would want to do is make parts specific to customer wants. From cosmetic designs to custom parts. Axle carriers to custom size pilot jets specific to your carbs. 

So basically just trying to see how much interest there would be.

There is almost nothing on a banshee or any other bike made of metal that I can't make. I can't engineer a better head or design a better carburetor. That involves too much I don't have experience with. But i could take a design and bring it to life.

Obviously I would do whatever a customer wanted done, not just banshees, but things like this hobby are exactly what I would want to target.