Shifting Troubles

Snapple80

First post, long time lurker. I'm having issues with shifting my banshee and looking for some advice and things to look for as I tear into mine.

-It was locked up in 3rd gear and couldn't shift up or down. While changing from paddles to dirt tires to make it easier to roll around the garage I slammed the rear tires back and forth when I had it jacked up. When I put the bike down I checked and I had N and all 6 gears. The following day I decided to take it for a test ride down the road and it worked just fine but I only have N and 1-3 gears now.

-I am going to start on the clutch side and see what I find before pulling the motor and cracking the cases. I know there are a multitude of issues it could be just looking for ideas on what to look for or any advice you all might have.

Thanks,

Snapple80

Try this with the eccentric screw first. Hopefully you didnt bend a fork.  

I pulled everything apart and the shift shaft claw was a tad out of adjustment and the eccentric screw was a little loose. Got it all adjusted and locked down but when I was putting the clutch basket back on I noticed slop/play in the basket and gear.

Would a combination of all of that cause shifting problems?
How much play is ok in the basket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most oem baskets will develop some play, won’t cause shifting issues but best to repair anyway. My basket has about 5mm of play and it isn’t causing issues, but I have a rebuild kit on the shelf waiting to go in. 

Mis-alignment will still allow shifting in one direction but make shifting in the opposite direction difficult but usually still possible.

You need to look deeper. Split the cases and inspect imo.

• Like 1