Carbs and pods, velocity stacks and air boxes

I have seen plenty of pods slapped directly on the intakes with no stacks or anything. I do want to do something about the airbox and going with stacked pods would make life awesome as far as carburetor access goes. 

I am new to the banshee and new to actually working on 2 strokes so please bear with me here.

On a 4 stroke with CV carbs, pods are just a dumb idea. Is it different for a 2 stroke with CV carbs? Shit... are these even CV carbs? They look like CV carbs...

The airbox on CV carbs on 4 strokes is necessary to retain the necessary air velocity needed to operate the slides properly. Wide open air screws that system all up so it is corrected with velocity stacks. I used them on my old R1 and they worked well.

Are stacks needed for a 2 stroke or are the physics different? If so, can you explain?

My carbs need a cleaning, at minimum but I am just going to rebuild. Choke doesn't stay out, one float sticks, old fuel all over the bottoms of the bowls... definitely taking them out. If going to pods is actually an option, I'm in! But I am not planning on riding down drag strips wide open... I will be riding with more variation so if pods are a bad idea for smooth variation then I am stuck with the box unless someone has tried stacks, successfully.

Thanks.

You start running out of room for the filters and pipes between frame. Stacks would set em back farther yet. 

Makes me wonder about the plausibility of running out the sides a bit. I am probably going to keep the air box with the lid. This does make me want to get into a project, though. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine. Your thinking too much about this. Every banshee on the planet is running pods or air box and they all work great and dyno testing shows a 1 hp gain with pods. Not worth the hp if your pipes can bend around the air box run the air box

• Like 1

Fine. Your thinking too much about this. Every banshee on the planet is running pods or air box and they all work great and dyno testing shows a 1 hp gain with pods. Not worth the hp if your pipes can bend around the air box run the air box

Not thinking about anything too much. CV carbs need intake air velocity. So in a motorcycle that velocity being reduced by pod filters creates a huge fuck show. But my post had nothing to do with horse power. I don’t care about horsepower gains. I care about ease of access to the carburetors but if going to pods creates sloppy throttle then I don’t want that.
Every banshee in the world might be running pods but I’ve read through that thread. Haha. None of them mention how the carburetors work... just that all of the cool drag guys use them.
My question was whether or not a 2 stroke with CV carbs is affected less by unrestricted air to the slides or should I expect an intake nightmare.

Not thinking about anything too much. CV carbs need intake air velocity. So in a motorcycle that velocity being reduced by pod filters creates a huge fuck show. But my post had nothing to do with horse power. I don’t care about horsepower gains. I care about ease of access to the carburetors but if going to pods creates sloppy throttle then I don’t want that.
Every banshee in the world might be running pods but I’ve read through that thread. Haha. None of them mention how the carburetors work... just that all of the cool drag guys use them.
My question was whether or not a 2 stroke with CV carbs is affected less by unrestricted air to the slides or should I expect an intake nightmare.

Smh....

We are not using cv carbs ffs!!!

The stock carbs are not cv carbs.

The most popular carbs (keihin pwk, or airstriker) are not cv carbs.

Envoyé de mon SM-N975W en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClaudeMachining said:

Smh....

We are not using cv carbs ffs!!!

The stock carbs are not cv carbs.

The most popular carbs (keihin pwk, or airstriker) are not cv carbs.

Envoyé de mon SM-N975W en utilisant Tapatalk

thank you

• Like 1

i think alot of people only use pods for convenience. its alot easier getting the carbs off if theres no airbox to mess with. and maybe the bike looks like a race machine with no airbox? remember back in the day u take the hood off your camaro and its a race car haha keep the airbox if you dont want mud and shit on your filters