Need help with jetting stock banshee that came from different state.

rmcollector

Hi all, I have a stock 2000 banshee (besides toomey pipes) that came from Utah and is now in Florida. It started first kick when I got it and ran fine for about an hour and then started back firing a bit and was sounding like it was running pretty rich. A week later when I went to start it again it will not start now. Bike has less than 50 hours of run time, never opened, plenty of fuel and has plenty of spark.

Sound like it needs a rejet? I'm new to the Banshee, but familiar with 2 strokes and wondering what jets/or anything else I need to replace in the carb? Again, it's from Utah and now in Florida

Thanks

Well you might have potentially burned it down. If you came from an elevation of ex 4000 ft to sea lever your jetting should have been richened. Running those pipes I would expect a 270-280 main and a 27.5 pilot.

what you need to do is a compression test, a leak down test, and find out what jets are in it now. Check compression first

Edited by gusto

Okay, did a compression test last night and im at 128-130 psi on each cylinder, which I believe is about right. Took the carbs out and the mains are at 280 and pilots are stock 25.

Going to switch the pilots to 27.5. Not sure why this would effect starting...but going to replace them while their out. Not really sure what else it can be, I have fuel, air, spark.

Well that’s good news about compression.

you should make a leak down tester and see if you have an air leak. South Texas Banshee also sells them.

no the pilot won’t make a difference with the starting. You should check out how many turns are on your air screws.

are you sure it’s not ported? Is the parking brake and tors deleted?

check if you have a plugged gas line or tank filter also.

Yes I have a leak down tester that I made several years back, do you know off hand what size plug is used to seal off the intake? I can go get some at the auto parts store.

According to the previous owner (which was the only other owner and an older guy) the engine was left untouched and never opened. Looking at the motor closely, I believe him because the nuts on the head and the cylinder look like they never been messed with along with the side cases. He told me he brought it to the dealer and had them them remove the tors and install the toomey pipes. Everything else is stock.

Let's say it has an air leak...it should still be able to fire up?

On 12/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, gusto said:

Parking brake causes it to not run, if it’s deleted and ran good before than don’t worry.

did you clean the carbs after it quit running right? 
Is the hose connecting both carbs on?

Yes I cleaned the carbs and they are currently out of the bike, I am waiting on the pilot jets to come in.

When you ask if the "hose connecting both carbs on", are you referring to the 3 way "T" connector for the carbs? If so...yes, they were all connected.