jetting help with Keihin carbs

mikefan

Hi Guys,  My son recently picked up 98. The machine seems very flat until you hit the powerband. I am not sure what was done inside the motor, the previous owner said he never had it apart. It does have a set of Bill`s pipes and silencers, also has a K&N filter with no lid. It has 34mm Keihin carbs with a 55 pilot jet and a 165 main with the needle clip in the top slot. we are at 1100 ft and the temp can vary from 20`s to the 90`s here in the northeast. I do not have a lot of experience with jetting and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So the needle is all the way down into the carb?   Seems like you need to go down in size on the pilot.  Check the air screws to see how far out they are.  If they are more than 2.5 turns out you need to go leaner on the pilot.   The needle should be on the third or fourth clip from the top and the air screw should be no more than 2.5 turns out in that configuration.