YFZ450R/Redline 421 serval hybrid

Biggest problem I have right now is wanting the pipes tucked in. I’ve always hated pipes that stick way out.

That leaves so little room for the radiator that it’s not even funny. It’s a huge part of why I’m doing the chromoly setup. 95% sure that I’m gonna have to buy a core and cut it and weld my own ends on it. It isn’t that hard to do, it just takes time and planning.

Basic rule of thumb is that you want one square inch of radiator to one horsepower. You can fudge it with a little extra fuel and a good fan and shroud setup, but the whole build starts to get out of hand at some point and it’s better to sit back, start over, and keep it simple.

So I’ve settled on probably 8x10 or 7x11. Should be fine.

Tube notcher came in last night but I’ve been floored with pipe welding. Should have free time Sunday and I should be able to get the bender and notcher together. May have to make another table for them but that’s no biggie either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

The hybrid is back on the list of priorities. Life happened hard this year. Getting back to it. Haven’t taken a lot of pics but this is what I have so far:

664ae422039eb500f70ebcbd165ef853.jpg
73839fc53a6cf6df9112538baf5ef54f.jpg

I have a lot of progress since I took these. Still have a lot to do but the big stuff is done on the chassis.

• Like 1

b6aa1e336f15dda6687772c536292342.jpg
47f40ad180b62f21a04973f4429dc3d1.jpg
b0345893e306bf90c6dd77991e22930c.jpg

At a good point to mount the engine. I’ve mocked it in there to make sure the pipes will physically fit and I can’t find any problems (other than welding .040 wall steel).

Still have to weld the chassis out. Got a few places with bigger gaps than I’d like but the filler is softer than the base metal and I’m not scared of filling a gap. I can verify penetration that way.

It looks like a 03-04 Yamaha R6 radiator is going to be almost perfect. It’ll sit right behind the steering stem.

Gas tank has some interference but I’m going to heat it up and mold it around the problem areas. Should be sitting at 2.4-2.5 gallons once it’s all said and done.

Picked out the powdercoat this morning. I’m super excited about it tbh.

Should’ve gone with billet mounts in front. 10x easier to pull/install motor.

In a banshee chassis, I agree 100%.

I have way more room in this chassis to get stuff done though. Upper frame rails are several inches higher. This tank comes off with one bolt so I’d have that option as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The project is still green lit. Biggest holdup is chromoly supply and other projects.

I redesigned the chassis and am much more satisfied with it at the moment.

Will post pictures when I have more service (backwoods Alabama)

• Like 1

Bringing that old dog into the current decade with a modern chassis. You chopping a set of Cpi's for the exhaust and keeping dual pipes?

That’s right on the CPIs. Probably won’t be too happy with the way they look but it’ll be good enough if they don’t crack at the toes of the welds. The metal is soft and I used the softest filler I had.

One pic of the front engine mounts. Pretty proud of that little weld.

96a2bbc2857bbcada460a160f61f2a15.jpg

• Like 1