Advice on build progression

mangosmoothie

Alright I need some advice. I've been doing a ton of research on here and came up with a plan. I want the input of others before I start dumping money.

I have a pretty much stock banshee right now. Goal is to have a do it all banshee that makes safe power on pump gas and can handle cruising trails to dune runs. 

Phase 1 completed: new tires on and cleaned/rebuilt the stock carbs. It already has a pro design filter, airbox lid removed, elka front shocks, and FMF gold pipes.

Phase 1.5 in progress right now: timing plate to +4, Vforce V4 reeds, new clutch and inner hub, water temp gauge, and send it til the end of the season. Am I correct that it doesnt really add any hp by doing a cyl head at this point, and it's kind of a waste because can't use those domes for anything but a stock bore/stock stroke. Will also pick up a set of paddles at some point and pop my dune cherry. 

Phase 2 early 2021: HJR 4mm set up with hot rods crank, dune port cylinders, and a cylinder head with domes cut for the stroker crank. I don't want to test my luck for too long on an unwelded stock crank. and if I'm getting cylinders ported.... Why not just do both lol. Plus the bottom end should be ready to rock for years to come. WHAT SIZE DOMES? Can I get away with 23cc domes on 91 at sea level?

Phase 2.5 mid 2021: Shearer in frames and some kinda air box mod since they don't fit the stock box. Raw finish because I'm cheap like that.

Phase 3 2022: 421 top end kit when it's time for a new top end if I feel like I need more power and/or the stock cylinders can't be saved (undecided on which way to go but till be assassin, cub, serval, or athena) and 35mm PWK to go with. Was not planning to do carbs before this point because I'm reading the stockers should be ok to 70hp or so. I don't think a 4 mil stock cylinder on pump gas is going beyond that, especially at my usual altitude of 3000-5000 ft. 

Would you suggest I do anything different along the way? Different order? Skip certain stuff? I feel like this is a logical progression that will leave me satisfied with noticeably more power at each step, limits down time of the machine, each step builds a foundation for the next, and spreads the expense out. 

You seem to be getting ahead of yourself planning years in advance. I don't understand why you just don't get everything at once and be really happy with it instead of constantly working on it. There are tons of deals on 4mils out there prebuilt, you could find one or just build yours up now. Prices on parts are only going up as less and less people make them and quality is harder to find. Go ahead and build or buy the bike you want.

As a side note, you mentioned getting shearers, these are a top end pipe. If you're riding trails and the occasional dunes some T5s would probably work out better for you  imo, they are the best mid range pipe, but you already have FMF which aren't horrible at all.

Honestly after reading all this it looks like you want a lot more power in your bike than trails need. If you were duning a lot or racing, it would make more sense to do a 4mil.

Personally if I were you, the most economical thing to do would be to send your cylinders and crank out. Get the cylinders trail/dune ported. Get the crank pinned and welded. Get some Mikuni r34 carbs, chariot billet reeds, Coolheads and some 23cc domes. This should push you to 60-65hp and be more power than you'll need in any trail.

The first mods you do on a bike are pipe, carbs, reeds. After that if you want more then porting and a cylinder head with some smaller domes. At that point your bike will make more than enough power.