How to tell if rebuild on clutch is necessary?

Just recently got a banshee, and it being my first manual quad, I have no idea when certain things will need to be rebuilt. The clutch cable was frayed and only had 2 pieces of wire holding it together so I replaced that, and once I finished that, it rode fine. I had a friend come over and ride it, and he told me that my clutch was starting to go bad, because when you would shift it down from neutral into first, the bike would nudge forward. I'm not sure if thats an indicator that the clutch is slipping or anything, is anybody able to let me know? Thanks for answers in advance.

4 hours ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

Your friend is wrong. A clutch grabbing is not bad.

Adjustment or a grooved basket is your problem. Although if it gets better after warming up, I consider it normal.

Thanks for the response, I'll check it out and see if its still grabbing like that after its warmed up for a little bit.

• 1 month later...

The clutch basket is part of the clutch. It holds the friction plates. If it gets grooves, it can keep the discs from separating "cleanly" when pulling the clutch handle. If you only notice it slightly when shifting into gear it still has some life. If it starts getting hard to shift or feels like your not pulling the clutch when you shift (but you are) you'll want to replace it before it breaks and does more damage.