rebuild or dump the machine

caleb90

so i just picked up my first banshee since 07, been looking for months. found a 2005 with title bone stock other than ugly old painted toomey pipes and stingers. went looked at it, clean strait and fired up first kick on a cold motor. dude seemed strait didnt ride it paid 3700 and loaded it. got it home went to rip it and yep its a turd. loads up wont open up ect. stick it in garage, unplugged all tors crap dumped gas put fresh in. went to rip it same thing except for if i got it going down hill i could get it to clear up and rip. as soon as i let off it would load up and start missing random on cylinders. pulled carbs today and the intake was full of dirt and sand great, did a compression check on a warm motor and got 87psi and 86psi. wanted some thing i could ride and mess with on my own time, not some thing i needed to go balls deep on the get go.. debaiting on rebuilding or. dumping as is and getting money back.. im sure the crank bearings are wooped aswell..

Edited by caleb90

If you have to ask that question, then you should probably dump it. I have always thought that it was better to fix what you have instead of replacing it with someone else's problem, which is what already happened to you. If you fix what you have, then you KNOW what you have. If you spend $450 on a top end and $450 on a crank, then you have a solid engine that you know will live. If you dump it and buy another one , you are gambling on getting something decent. How many time do you want to do that? If you are going to replace it make sure you check out the next one thouroughly- check compression, condition of fluids and levels, proper test ride, look for broken, bent or missing parts, etc.

22 minutes ago, bansheesandrider said:

If you have to ask that question, then you should probably dump it. I have always thought that it was better to fix what you have instead of replacing it with someone else's problem, which is what already happened to you. If you fix what you have, then you KNOW what you have. If you spend $450 on a top end and $450 on a crank, then you have a solid engine that you know will live. If you dump it and buy another one , you are gambling on getting something decent. How many time do you want to do that? If you are going to replace it make sure you check out the next one thouroughly- check compression, condition of fluids and levels, proper test ride, look for broken, bent or missing parts, etc.

it is totally my fault. fired first kick nothing bent or missing got excited and paid.. now im paying for it. i knew it was going to need some tinkering, as it looked like its been sitting a while. idk 3700 bucks is kinda hard to beat

12 minutes ago, caleb90 said:

it is totally my fault. fired first kick nothing bent or missing got excited and paid.. now im paying for it. i knew it was going to need some tinkering, as it looked like its been sitting a while. idk 3700 bucks is kinda hard to beat

I’ll buy it if you decide to sell it.

i am more into utilities any more, ride my brute force daily. i thought it would be a good idea to pick up a shee as a time piece, keep in garage and rip it from time to time to get the shakes then park it. some thing to build slowly, not to go balls deep on the get go.  thats where im back peddeling on it. trying to decide if it worth the time n money at this point.

It’s worth rebuild it.these bikes are on the rise price wise.i know they held value but recently. I can’t lie, prices have been going up.i honestly got my 88 that I bought running with a title ,so cheap that some times, I think About it and I got it for free.it blew not to long ago but I’ll just rebuild It.which I’m in the process of doing so. Im just gonna build me a nice shee since I got it so cheap.

alright so i tore her down today to give it a good douching. platics, exhaust , tank every thing but wheels. looks like she has seen some storage out side. has typical yammy rust comming through on weld joints. nothing serious, but enough to piss me off and know it needs a powder coat. frame is strait n cleaned up good. still debaiting on what to do, for some reason  i had in my mind that a 3700 dollar banshee wasnt going to need tinkering, i guess the old days are behind me and need to get with the picture. i could dump it and buy one that runs decent for 4500-5000 but still has shitty paint and rust on frame. or i could just rebuild this for the summer tear down over winter get powder coated n know what i got.. 2005 with cali title 3rd owner .... n why the hell cant i post pics?

decided im going to throw a top end in for the rest of summer. this winter i will strip down and have frame n swing arm powder coated. already paid for the machine, its mine now will still have less in it than what real clean units are going for now adays

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk