Engine Swap

42 minutes ago, 97Screamer said:

You should get a banshee engine built by someone that knows what they're doing. An R1 engine will make it slow, heavy and unreliable. A street bike motor on a drag bike is a bad idea. A street bike motor in a trail bike is a horrible idea.

Well I had a mechanic rebuild the banshee and it just blew up again so I am done spending money on that engine right now. I already bought and rebuilt the R1, why do you say the R1 would suck i heard good things. 

My buddy did this before. You need extended a-arms, extended swing arm and stiffer shocks. He went with elka. You will need to get 540 chain I believe because otherwise it will slip. Also depending how you’re doing the intake you will need to get the bike tuned. Good luck. It’s gonna be a monster when you finish, idk why other members are commenting that but the banshee frame combined with r1 engine is nice. 

Quadzilla is a better chassis for this swap. Seen a lot of different versions, Raptor, Honda, suzuki, banshee.... 

Turbo busa in the zilla was my favorite....

But a built 4mm or 7mm will out perform the R1. 300 lbs lighter and 80-110 hp on pump gas.

Properly built banshee engine will last for YEARS. My wifes 96 is still on the 64.25mm bore from 1998. Runs mint!

DONT PUT A STREETBIKE ENGINE IN AN OFF ROAD MACHINE. It will be faster than hell in a straight line. But it won't turn or jump worth a damn because the weight distribution is all wrong. Sell the R1 motor and use the money to have Redline build and tune your Banshee motor. Then let it warm up properly and maintain it like you should and you won't have problems. I haven't had an engine problem in over 10 years because my Banshees are properly tuned and maintained.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1st things 1st.. anybody telling you an R1 engine weighs 300 -400 lbs doesnt know much about that. That's total misinformation.

Yamaha R6- R1 motors weigh in roughly @ 150 -170 lbs

A Banshee engine approx @ 90 pounds.

Stock Banshee makes 35 horsepower.

And 25 lb of torque.

an R1 makes anywhere from 150 to 190 horsepower and has approximately 70-85 pounds of torque.

That's Mount Everest amount of torque everywhere in the power band. 

Apples to apples oranges to oranges it will annihilate a Banshee..  in every power category

Your Banshee blew up . Due to one of two reasons.. it was built wrong or jetted wrong.....period.

Your R1 project will work and has some benefits and some drawbacks.

I don't think you need somebody to explain that to you.....but...

It would never be an MX racer or lightweight and nimble bike. Handling will be affected.

It could be built to make and reasonably acceptable dune bike it would be fast as fuk. I've seen a couple GSXR 1000 conversions that were done correct they're perfectly drivable and probably do everything right... Just not optimized. 

Obviously a brutal drag bike... Would certainly be fun.

don't be surprised if some full-on drag Banshees with stroker/bigbore Banshee engines beat you in a drag race..it's possible... And if you spend all your time drag racing it will happen but an average Banshee... no f***ing way it would ever touch you.... In most any speed contest... Obviously on a dirt track or the woods you'll get your ass kicked buy a stock Banshee.

I'm assuming you're building this for drag or duning I don't see you being able to do it "correctly "for under 3 to 6 grand.

You need frame extensively modified welded and braced.

Swing arm and modifications.

Driveline components modified to handle the power and torque.

Your shocks front and rear have to be custom to accept the extra weight. 

Custom exhaust has to be fabricated with clearance on

Fuel supply , petcock excetera...unless there's a kid out there that somebody is making for this this is in no way a bolt on you're basically building an entirely new machine sit down on paper and write this stuff down and you will see the extent after the project and the cost. 

We've all seen backyard hack jobs with just about every kind of engine shoved in there one way or another. Most of those bikes are crap and only good for a straight line for shits & giggles...if you're looking to build a professional level conversion, all in including Banshee frame components your well into the $10,000 + .mark. No way around that none of it all.

now I'm talking about a professionally fabricated and engineered total package.

Sure you can cut shut widen frame put the motor in their Fab up a pipe and you'll have a bite that will be fast as f*** in a lot of fun but there's a big difference between the two machines it all depends on what you're after and your price range that is available to you.

If you got an old Banshee in an R1 motor and you just want to have fun f*ck it ....go for it.

Can't knock anybody for building Frankenstein hotrods I've had a few.

Best wishes if you do it post your results of your progress

Edited by This old banshee

1st things 1st.. anybody telling you an R1 engine weighs 300 -400 lbs doesnt know much about that. That's total misinformation.
  Yamaha R6- R1 motors weigh in roughly @ 150 -170 lbs
A Banshee engine approx @ 90 pounds.

Stock Banshee makes 35 horsepower.
And 25 lb of torque.
an R1 makes anywhere from 150 to 190 horsepower and has approximately 70-85 pounds of torque.
 That's Mount Everest amount of torque everywhere in the power band. 
 Apples to apples oranges to oranges it will annihilate a Banshee..  in every power category
 Your Banshee blew up . Due to one of two reasons.. it was built wrong or jetted wrong.....period.
Your R1 project will work and has some benefits and some drawbacks.
 I don't think you need somebody to explain that to you.....but...
It would never be an MX racer or lightweight and nimble bike. Handling will be affected.
 It could be built to make and reasonably acceptable dune bike it would be fast as fuk. I've seen a couple GSXR 1000 conversions that were done correct they're perfectly drivable and probably do everything right... Just not optimized. 
 Obviously a brutal drag bike... Would certainly be fun.
don't be surprised if some full-on drag Banshees with stroker/bigbore Banshee engines beat you in a drag race..it's possible... And if you spend all your time drag racing it will happen but an average Banshee... no f***ing way it would ever touch you.... In most any speed contest... Obviously on a dirt track or the woods you'll get your ass kicked buy a stock Banshee.
I'm assuming you're building this for drag or duning I don't see you being able to do it "correctly "for under 3 to 6 grand.
 You need frame extensively modified welded and braced.
Swing arm and modifications.
 Driveline components modified to handle the power and torque.
 Your shocks front and rear have to be custom to accept the extra weight. 
Custom exhaust has to be fabricated with clearance on
 Fuel supply , petcock excetera...unless there's a kid out there that somebody is making for this this is in no way a bolt on you're basically building an entirely new machine sit down on paper and write this stuff down and you will see the extent after the project and the cost. 
 We've all seen backyard hack jobs with just about every kind of engine shoved in there one way or another. Most of those bikes are crap and only good for a straight line for shits & giggles...if you're looking to build a professional level conversion, all in including Banshee frame components your well into the $10,000 + .mark. No way around that none of it all.
now I'm talking about a professionally fabricated and engineered total package.
Sure you can cut shut widen frame put the motor in their Fab up a pipe and you'll have a bite that will be fast as f*** in a lot of fun but there's a big difference between the two machines it all depends on what you're after and your price range that is available to you.
 If you got an old Banshee in an R1 motor and you just want to have fun f*ck it ....go for it.
 Can't knock anybody for building Frankenstein hotrods I've had a few.
 Best wishes if you do it post your results of your progress

It will handle like shit. I'll put my 521 against it in any condition (trail, drag, mx)

Handling is not the Shee strongest point, putting an heavy engine will only make it worst.

Envoyé de mon SM-N975W en utilisant Tapatalk

Whatever an R1 motor ain't my thing either... but to each their own regardless of whether we agree or not he's got some good points he can drive it forever and do an oil change that's it he won't have to do anything on the motor.

Rear Sprockets may be a issue...lol😃

I've seen plenty of GSXR 600 & 1000 swaps and a couple turbos and let me tell you they flat-out Kik f***ing ass speed-wise... Black 421 is fast enough for me I would never ride one of those things that scare the f*** out of way too much power for the Dirt... as a matter of fact I would challenge just about anybody outside of a professional  red bull MX rider to r use my 421 Banshee or bigger on a dirt track or desert race to its ability..... If I saw an ad by the man of beer.

Let's be real, most folks doing this don't give a too much of a rat's ass about handling.... just saying.

He's explained his reasons and they're perfectly acceptable he just wants something to sit on twist the throttle and go fast in a straight line and not worry about his motor I know exactly where he's coming from nobody likes tinkering on s*** and for some people two Strokes just ain't a good fit.. I've been around two strokes since 1977 and I have had 20 different mostly midified 2 Strokes they can be  and are finicky  when modified or raced,  people whom say they're not .....sent telling it like it is. When their stock in my opinion they're bulletproof ...but I have been through about six RZ350/ Yamaha RD400s and Kawi Triple motors that beg to differ when modified and raced...lol

Seizures are equally as common from novices to veteran racers....lol🙄😀

I know one thing for sure that thing would leave my 421 gasping for breath and left  a 75ft rooster tail in my face... lol

The guy ain't after the fastest drag bike he just wants something that fast then that'll do the ticket all right. one thing we all know there is always something faster out there... always. Every old man meets up with a youngster sooner or later.

Not my thing but it sure is a lot of fun may be limited but it's fun 👍

• Like 1

Just a after thought, people said all kinds of s*** about me putting a 350 small block in a Chevy Vega.

A 383 stroker into a mini truck.

Or a Mazda rotary Turbo II into a Datsun 510.

None of them did anything particularly well except go fast... lol 😄 but dear God were they fun. 

I caught all kinds of grief for those conversions from some folks. Dammbed the torpedos...To hell with the naysayers...😆

Do what you want. Those three vehicles to this day are my favorites of ( all time)  they put a smile on my face more than any other cars I've ever owned...engine conversions are about as American as apple pie on the 4th of July. 

Edited by This old banshee
  • Like 1