Question on buying a Banshee.

Hello everyone, I hope someone here can maybe point me in the right direction on getting some information that I need. I’m looking to buy a Banshee for my son. The Banshee I’m looking to buy is roughly a hour away from where I live. I’m looking for a way to check the VIN number on it before I buy it. I just don’t want to buy it and then find out later down the line it could possibly be stolen or something.  So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh hell no, find the closest PD station to the seller and arrange to meet there for the hand over of the money for the bike and paperwork.... get it checked then. If he refuses, then its hot. Or he has warrants.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, JerzOutlaw350 said:

Hello everyone, I hope someone here can maybe point me in the right direction on getting some information that I need. I’m looking to buy a Banshee for my son. The Banshee I’m looking to buy is roughly a hour away from where I live. I’m looking for a way to check the VIN number on it before I buy it. I just don’t want to buy it and then find out later down the line it could possibly be stolen or something.  So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Why don’t you just match the vin with the pink slip then Check the dudeS driver license to see if it matches the name on the pink slip ...that’s what I do ...   Years ago I almost bought a 400ex but checked the pink and the vins didn’t match .. I always have problems with people magically losing the pink slip when i show up ... Before I  even drive anywhere I ask  several times do you have the pink slip is under your name do the vins  match

Edited by Doom400

Ok, First off thanks for everyone’s input on this post. The guy who was selling the Banshee had the registration that was issued by the Pennsylvania DCNR. I had him meet me at a Pennsylvania State Police Barracks near where he lives. I checked the VIN # on the registration and it matched the vin on the frame. I also asked a trooper if he could please run a check on the registration and vin and it came back as he was the owner. So, long story short, he agreed that he would file for a lost title and request a duplicate. So, I told him if he does that I would be more than happy to pay him for getting the title. 

Oh yeah, I did buy the Banshee. It’s a completely stock 2003. It needs a little TLC, but that will be up to my son to take care of that. He mainly rode it on his property. It did start up and ran ok and it rode ok as well. Tomorrow it will get a cleaning and then I’ll check it over. Then I’ll change the trans fluid, coolant and clean and flush out the fuel tank I’ll also pull apart the carbs and completely clean them and while I’m there I’ll do a compression test and leak down test as well. 

Thanks, again everyone for your input! 

Sounds like a good find, congratulations! A buddy of mine did the same when he brought a truck by going through a police office. Everything was in order, we even put on the new set of wheels and tires from 4WheelOnline and Discountdirect. Too late to check the rest of its history, it came from a flooded state. Good thing it doesn't show a major engine issue or rusts.

Whenever I have suggested meeting at a police barracks/station and the seller does not agree I walk. Not willing to meet at a police station means you are shady.....