Carb Issues

So my carb has started leaking out of the overflow randomly every other week or so. I sent some pictures to a buddy of mine and he said the float adjustment looks fine and that I should check the needle and seat to see if it needs replaced. It looks fine to me (even though I am still going to replace it) so I just cleaned it with a Q-tip and carb cleaner and put everything back together.

After doing so, I noticed there was air in the fuel line and no fuel was going to the carb so I took the needle and seat out, cleaned, and then after it was all back together gas was flowing to the carb and it started right up. However after warming up for 5 minutes I took it down the road to make sure all was well and it died on me. The only way I could get it started was with the choke on and it would only go about 100ft at a time and die.

Any ideas on what to do? Should the new needle and seat fix the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: This is a Keihin 35mm 1-2 carb.

Doubtful the running out of fuel is a needle/seat issue. You could need new ones but it they were worn you would have a fuel surplus and not deficit. Try taking the gas cap off and see if the problem goes away. Some vent hoses or caps will cause this problem. Next I would check the screen on the petcock inside the tank. They do clog up and cleaning it should be part of regular maintenance. 

On a side note, you shouldn't leave your petcock on when the bike is sitting.