32 :1 vs 40 :1 for top end Longevity.

This is a great conversation and like the rest of you I am learning a lot. Over my 30 years as a Banshee owner I would like to share the following points:

- Your engine is a pump. It needs a combination of fuel and air to run. An imbalance of any of these 2 components can lead to performance and longevity issues.

- Since you are on a 2 stroke, let’s define fuel as a combination of Oil and Gas. Air is the 3rd component.

- Your carbs have a pilot and a main jet where a combination of gas and oil flow through them.

- When I was a youngster, I used to think more oil made my motor run richer.  This is incorrect.  Gas keeps your motor cool, oil is there to lube your parts. (Think of a 4 stroke motor, you don’t put oil in your gas tank).  The more oil in your gas/oil mixture the leaner your motor is running.

-  With the above said, after an engine rebuild, I will always run a little extra oil in the gas for extra lubrication.  I will do this for the first 3 tanks of fuel and then back to my normal gas/oil mixture.

What I have learned. I used to mix 20:1, then 32:1, then 40: 1 and now 50:1.  I feel 50:1 is a comfortable balance of a gas to oil mixture for the modded Banshees I own.  We want to keep our motors lubricated thus we want to use the right amount of oil, not too much, not too little.  The oil you buy should have a recommended gas/oil listed  See what they recommend (Call the manufacturer if needed)  and use this as a starting point.  Whatever you decide on for a mixture, always remember to verify your jetting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yaxy said:

This is a great conversation and like the rest of you I am learning a lot. Over my 30 years as a Banshee owner I would like to share the following points:

- Your engine is a pump. It needs a combination of fuel and air to run. An imbalance of any of these 2 components can lead to performance and longevity issues.

- Since you are on a 2 stroke, let’s define fuel as a combination of Oil and Gas. Air is the 3rd component.

- Your carbs have a pilot and a main jet where a combination of gas and oil flow through them.

- When I was a youngster, I used to think more oil made my motor run richer.  This is incorrect.  Gas keeps your motor cool, oil is there to lube your parts. (Think of a 4 stroke motor, you don’t put oil in your gas tank).  The more oil in your gas/oil mixture the leaner your motor is running.

-  With the above said, after an engine rebuild, I will always run a little extra oil in the gas for extra lubrication.  I will do this for the first 3 tanks of fuel and then back to my normal gas/oil mixture.

What I have learned. I used to mix 20:1, then 32:1, then 40: 1 and now 50:1.  I feel 50:1 is a comfortable balance of a gas to oil mixture for the modded Banshees I own.  We want to keep our motors lubricated thus we want to use the right amount of oil, not too much, not too little.  The oil you buy should have a recommended gas/oil listed  See what they recommend (Call the manufacturer if needed)  and use this as a starting point.  Whatever you decide on for a mixture, always remember to verify your jetting.

Well said

Cheaper and less smoke as mentioned above are good advantages.  I used Yamalube 2R at 40:1 for probably 15 years and found it excellent at lubricating but it didn't burn as clean as I would of liked.   I now use Legend brand oil at 50:1. It seems to run cleaner, smoother and I am happy with it. 

Edited by Yaxy

5 hours ago, ClaudeMachining said:

Cheaper and less smoke.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Smoke is from the tune, your rich if it’s smoking. 
I have no smoke at all at 32:1 when it’s warmed up. 

Edited by Deets

So oil ratio is the only thing that has any affect on how much smoke you have? 

I’m sure it may be a little different, I’m just sayin if your jetting is spot on then the difference would most likely not be noticeable. And if a little extra 2smoke bothers ya, then maybe you should stick to 4 strokes. Lol

So oil ratio is the only thing that has any affect on how much smoke you have? 

I’m sure it may be a little different, I’m just sayin if your jetting is spot on then the difference would most likely not be noticeable. And if a little extra 2smoke bothers ya, then maybe you should stick to 4 strokes. Lol
I'm sorry but there is a lot of smoke difference between 25:1 et 50:1.

You know nothing about smoke bro ;-)

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk