Stock ‘95 been sitting for 5-6 years

New to working on bikes and lo and behold I’m working with a banshee that’s been sitting for close to 6 years. I know it was running great the last time it was rode. Its a one owner bike and never really been beat on. Cleaned the tank along with the petcock, put new plugs in it. I kicked it and on the first try it rolled over and sounded like it ran for about half a second. Kicked it over a few more times but got nothing after that. Maybe this was a bad idea on my part. Going to clean the carbs (tors still on) and check jetting tomorrow. Can anyone give me a list of things I should check/do other than these that would help me get this thing started and running reliably. 

You drain out trans oil and coolant? Good chance if it wasn’t stored correctly or started now and again the seals and bearings might be gone.

•drain all fluids
•dump some oil down into the cylinders
•take off carbs and clean them out
•inspect and remove reeds
•inspect cylinders\pistons
•fresh spark plugs
•fresh fluids

I would do something along those lines. If you can’t get it going then check compression and start looking at the electrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbs were pretty nasty (one of the caps was actually loose) and I did end up changing all fluids. Put the carbs back on and synched them up. Once I got the carbs back on and replaced the fuel lines, I kicked it key off slow twice. Kicked once with key on started right up and was even idling no problem. I’m actually working on it as we speak and cylinders look good. Most seals are rough but not completely shot (still getting replaced ofc) didn’t even cross my mind to check bearings or reeds...thank you!

Edited by Whaddupmugg
  • Like 1