Banshee keeps asking to go leaner

1997 shee 

Toomey t5’s    Pods    Stock cages but Boyesen super stock flaps 

300 ft above sea level 

been trying to jet this banshee forever I have 25 pilots 270 main and red vitos needles in the carbs right now.  Everyone says go 300 main 27.5 pilot 1 turn out air screw but when I do that I have no power until I hit the band like if I fill throttle of start it Boggs    The Jets I have in there right now are the leanest I’ve been but it’s also the best it’s been, still laggs to hit power off start but I’m scared to go leaner since everyone else never goes that lean with my set up, I just did the top end in hopes that maybe that’s where the lack of power came from just worn out or somthing but no, any suggestions ? Should I go leaner ? Plugs are a little wet when I pull them out.  And I’d really like to get it pretty close without plug chopping for now thank for the help.

First off I would get rid of those pos Vito’s red needles and order the perfect jet kit straight from Toomey Racing. Toomey’s needles work a hell of a lot better then vito’s junk. Then I would start with the 27.5 pilot and either somewhere between a 290 thru 310 mains with air screw 2 turns out. Just remember to do either the pilot jet circuit or main jet circuit one at a time and have plenty of patients. Also make sure outside temps are stable because that plays a major role in getting it jetted properly. 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, 97Screamer said:

You have any porting? Have you set your pilot jet properly using the airscrew to find the highest idle? Where is your bog 0-1/4, 1/4 to half or half-full?

I porting. Can you further explain how to set the pilot properly I think this has been my problem this whole time. Because my bog is from 0-1/4.  But it also takes forever to enter the band. Maybe the Toomey jet kit is also gunna help the midrange the price is just stupid. 

On 3/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, OneBADBanshee05 said:

First off I would get rid of those pos Vito’s red needles and order the perfect jet kit straight from Toomey Racing. Toomey’s needles work a hell of a lot better then vito’s junk. Then I would start with the 27.5 pilot and either somewhere between a 290 thru 310 mains with air screw 2 turns out. Just remember to do either the pilot jet circuit or main jet circuit one at a time and have plenty of patients. Also make sure outside temps are stable because that plays a major role in getting it jetted properly. 

Yeah I’m prolly just going to order that perfect jet kit. I’ve been wanting to order them I just think why do I have to pay 80 dollars shipped for some needles, but anything to rip it right ?   And yeah that’s the sweet spot on the main when I was finding the main, the bike started hitting the band powerfully from 310 and down anything higher then that and it wouldn’t even get into the band. With that being said should I pop on that 310 since it’s one step down from a bog, or is that to close to being to rich. I also think I need to do what ONEBAD said I’m an idiot never researched enough about the pilot and idle. I thought once it idled fine It was good. Thank u for ur time 

Read this, it will answer all your questions about jetting. Those needles might help mid range but not going to clean up your 0-1/4 throttle bog. I've ran stock needles on every stock carb banshee I've ever tuned, I don't think Toomey needles are necessary.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5be4d5b35ffd2095efa9bdff/t/5bf1a09b6d2a7391b5a84730/1542561947962/KeihinCarbJetting-2015.pdf

Edited by 97Screamer

21 hours ago, 97Screamer said:

Read this, it will answer all your questions about jetting. Those needles might help mid range but not going to clean up your 0-1/4 throttle bog. I've ran stock needles on every stock carb banshee I've ever tuned, I don't think Toomey needles are necessary.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5be4d5b35ffd2095efa9bdff/t/5bf1a09b6d2a7391b5a84730/1542561947962/KeihinCarbJetting-2015.pdf

Ok my 1/4 throttle bog is gone   Im at a 27.5 pilot at about 1 and 3/4 turns out   But I do have a bog from Why feels like 1/4 throttle and up, pretty much once it hits the needle   The needles I have in there are the vitos ones I tried middle clip and then I added fuel by going to the 4th clip from blunt end should I try the stock needles ? If so what clip ? 

The needle has 5 grooves on it. Stock location is the e clip on the middle groove. When you move the e clip up towards the rounded end it will get leaner and down towards the tapered end it will get richer. Make sure you also recheck your float height after messing with the carbs that can also effect your jetting. It can cause it to either get to much fuel (Rich Condition)or cause it to starve for fuel (Lean Condition). 

2 hours ago, OneBADBanshee05 said:

The needle has 5 grooves on it. Stock location is the e clip on the middle groove. When you move the e clip up towards the rounded end it will get leaner and down towards the tapered end it will get richer. Make sure you also recheck your float height after messing with the carbs that can also effect your jetting. It can cause it to either get to much fuel (Rich Condition)or cause it to starve for fuel (Lean Condition). 

Understood boss. I’m just getting impatient and I am wondering could I get the bike jetted right with stock or vitos needles or do I need those Toomey needles which I don’t want to spend the money on. And yeah I got my float set at 21mm with calipers (gasket off). 

The only time that I used the Toomey perfect jet kit is when it came with a Toomey exhaust package. If you have a set of stock needles I’d put them in and start with the e clip in middle. What premix ratio are you using? I understand that this is a PITA. Being impatient is going to make the job go slower and cause other issues and If it starts to get you upset then just step back and take a break for a few minutes and regain your thoughts and try again. At one time everyone on this site went through what your doing now and it’s just a learning curve and once you get it down packed then it becomes easier down the road. 

7 hours ago, OneBADBanshee05 said:

The only time that I used the Toomey perfect jet kit is when it came with a Toomey exhaust package. If you have a set of stock needles I’d put them in and start with the e clip in middle. What premix ratio are you using? I understand that this is a PITA. Being impatient is going to make the job go slower and cause other issues and If it starts to get you upset then just step back and take a break for a few minutes and regain your thoughts and try again. At one time everyone on this site went through what your doing now and it’s just a learning curve and once you get it down packed then it becomes easier down the road. 

I poped in the stock needles tried them on  middle clip and then 4th clip. Both ran similar, like shit. The vitos felt a bit smoother. I haven’t tried all clip positions yet so since it wasn’t running good rich I’m going to try to go leaner this bike always loves that for some reason. And yeah I’ve been trying to jet this bike for months. I even rebuilt the top end just Incase it was that. I did a leak down just to be sure and still can’t seem to find the sweet spot