Jetting concern w T5’s

DoubleJay

So obviously my cylinders have been cut already to accommodate the old pistons being 1 over ... right?? Sorry for all questions. But your a tremendous help

Yes they have been cut already.

When you take it to your boring guy, he will measure the top of the cylinder and the bottom of it. He will then calculate how much cutting it will take to make the bottom of the cylinder match the top, so it’s all one nice even size. The top of the cylinder wears out due to the piston and rings riding on it and wearing it, while the bottom doesn’t have any wear since the piston doesn’t go down that far. When he measures it he will ideally say it needs to go .5 or 1mil more to get it to match (if you have to go more, so be it but less is better). So if he says he can cut it to 66mm and it will be even top to bottom, you will order 66mm pistons and then take them to him so he can bore and hone the cylinders so the pistons fit perfectly. Different manufacturers have different tolerances that they want between the piston and the cylinder wall. That is why you have pistons in hand when the actual boring takes place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t you normally Want the guy that’s going to be doing the plating to be involved when deciding how much to over bore and allow for plating thickness? 

I’m unsure of the amount of nickacil in the sleeve, but I didn’t hear anything from anyone I talked about when boring. As far as I know you just cut the cylinder wall down and size it to the piston and send it

Well if you have you cylinder cut for .002 less than the piston. The plating guy would have to cut more in order to keep that clearance after plating.

Do you have to replate after every time boring it out? I thought cylinders only need replaced if there was deep grooves or chunks missing