How bad is running toasted clutch cushions?

jnormie917

So yesterday I bought a 2003 Banshee on OfferUp for a steal. The guy bought it from his brother in law who built it and from the looks of it put several thousand into it. After using it only a handful of times, he got too busy and it sat in his garage for 2-3 years. It's got a Coolhead, full Toomey T5 exhaust, extended swingarm, custom billet clutch and stator covers, hot rods, ported cylinders, extended radiator, adjustable billet stator plate, and a few other things I think. It's been bored somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5mm over stock as near as I can tell, I haven't been able to measure it with calipers or a bore gauge yet. So the sad part is that from the looks of it last time it was taken apart/rebuilt, it got slapped back together in a hurry. There's gasket maker on pretty much every seam where there should have been a proper gasket (heads, clutch cover, between the cases, and all over the boots on the reed cages). I have the engine completely disassembled and cases split as of right now. When taking out the clutch, I noticed there is a pretty good amount of play between the clutch basket and the gear on it, which from what I've read indicates bad cushions. I'm putting together a list of everything I need to buy to get it running, but I want to save as much as I can where possible. Right now my question is how bad is it to run on bad clutch cushions? Will it lead to further damage down the road or affect performance?

Yeah, mine's got the stock basket with the rivets on the back... Looking a bit closer it looks like it had been run on the bad cushions for a while since there's some pretty severe deformation of the basket/hub where the plates were slamming into them. Anyone know of a good kit that has a basket hub and plates, or will I need to get them separately? I was thinking of going with Tusk competition plates and hd springs from Rocky Mountain ATV, but if I could get everything in a set I'd probably do that.