Look like a good buy?

01717_iwWKaTO38P8_1200x900.jpg.73bde0f649fc5482e578e7648278c6b7.jpg

I have always wanted a banshee since I was a kid and this one came up for sale locally at what seems to be a pretty reasonable price. (2500 CDN) 

I grew up on ATC 250rs and other older 2 stroke machines. 

I would rather it be a stock machine but it has pro circuit pipes, pod filters and a few other mods. (2001 model)

The only issue he says it has is when it is cold he has to spray some gas in the carbs but once its running and warm it starts up 1st kick and sounds excellent.

Anything I should look for or ask when I go look at it? If it has good compression do you think the hard cold starting is a fairly easy problem to fix?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by MetalMeltdown363

Sounds like a "OK" buy to me, you'd know your market best though. The hard start is probably dirty carb jets and circuits. Never a bad idea to check compression before buying. I always just factor in a new bore and piston set, then you know what you have.

I always look over a new purchase for rounded off or missing or mis-matched bolts, indicates poor repairs and that stuff bothers me to know end.

That actually looks like a pretty nice one in the pic, but the frame color indicates it's been completely apart.

Oh, and hey, Welcome to BansheeHQ!!

51 minutes ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

Sounds like a "OK" buy to me, you'd know your market best though. The hard start is probably dirty carb jets and circuits. Never a bad idea to check compression before buying. I always just factor in a new bore and piston set, then you know what you have.

I always look over a new purchase for rounded off or missing or mis-matched bolts, indicates poor repairs and that stuff bothers me to know end.

That actually looks like a pretty nice one in the pic, but the frame color indicates it's been completely apart.

Oh, and hey, Welcome to BansheeHQ!!

Thanks for the reply. I have a compression testing gauge but can't find it at the moment. Is there a passable way to test compression without one? I have never kickstarted or driven a banshee before. How hard should it be to kick over vs a single cylinder 2 stroke? 

They kick over easier than anything, even freshly rebuilt.

I had an LT80 years ago with stuck rings, (very low compression) it would start cold but not warm, opposite of what you'd think.

Come to think of it, I also had a 67 Fairlane GT with a worn out 390 that was the same way. Had to pour a bit of oil down the carb to get it to start when warm.

• 3 weeks later...