clutching

mike0chek

hey guys, had my 4mil out on some logging roads a few weeks ago and felt like my clutch was slipping a tiny bit at WOT 5th and 6th gear. seemed to be over revving at the top of those gear slightly. still hit 149kph on my gps but ive seen closer to 160kph in the past with the same 15/41 gears. its a 4mil 421 cub hjr full drag port, shearer pipes, VF4's, 35mm keihins oversized bowls, 8 inch pods, +4 timing on pump gas.

so i pulled the clutch last night to inspect and install some parts. it has HD plates and springs from fast with not many hours on them. oil that drained looked fine and so did the plates (no glazing) i replaced the stock basket that i had filed down grooves in the past with a chariot billet basket along with new oem pressure plate and oem hub.

is this clutch setup enough to handle the power my engine is making?? or something else causing the minor slipping? is there anything else i should inspect or modify before putting clutch cover back on? also, what oil is best for this type motor??

it shifts like butter and does not creep foward at all with the clutch pulled in

With a motor set up like that you’re kind of at the limit of what a stock style clutch can hold on to. There are 8 plate options, but the cheaper quicker option would be to just do a lock up. Finger style if you’re a drag racer, sling shot if your running anything else imo. 

• Like 1

sling shot fit under oem clutch cover?? im starting to think my clutch is not staying fully engaged at WOT sometimes. my clutch ball looks fine so does the pushrod no mushrooming on the ends. i noticed the adjuster on the pancake bearing is pretty well maxed out to get the arm and case marks lined up under the carb. should i have any threads still on the adjuster? im going to pull the clutch arm out next