Getting into the asphalt 1/4 mile scene

ORBanshee

Alright guys, been riding qauds for years, started racing at the track in my ranchero and my pick up about 2 years ago. Over here (southern Oregon) you never see qauds out running at the track (1 day a year). I recently picked up another banshee and I'm thinking about setting it up to run 1/4 mile here at my local track just to be different and have a good time. Bike is a duner and most of my riding is out in the Oregon dunes. It's a stock cyl ported 4 mill on race gas with a +4 swinger on the back, vforce 3, fmf turbinecore pipes, 34mm pj's. I'd like to keep running the bike as my main duner, so would it work out okay if I just picked up a set of tires for all the way around and changed gearing to run at the track? Or would I be better off picking up a different bike and starting from scratch? Thanks for your input y'all, I can do all the Fab work and motor work myself if I set up a new bike as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

shearer pipes and gearing if you want to just run what you have to make it more competitive id imagine.  A dune bike and an asphalt bike are setup completely different, so if you run what you have with a standard transmission and fmf pipes dont expect to be competitive.  An override tranny is a must when it comes to for real drag racing. 

Not looking to be crazy competitive, just be able to still go out to the track and have a good time with my buddies while I rebuild my ranchero. No other qauds run out here so I'm not too worried about getting my as sbeat, just run some test and tune and see if maybe they'd just let me run in motorcycle bracket class or try and build interest and get more qauds out there. For 1/4 mile I'll probably need to change my gearing yeah? If interest starts to build up out there then I'll probably pick up another bike to be a dedicated drag bike

I don't mind building a new bike, it's just that for quite a while it would be a basically stock motor other than mods I could myself, I know some stuff about overrides, but what all actually goes into it? Is it something I'd be able to manage myself or need a shop to do?