What did I get myself into?

abqjt

Seem to be picking up the banshee stuff well. Shee doesn't look bad at all, I would have some new domes cut for your head (assuming you still have trinity domes in it) and you will thank yourself for making jetting it much easier.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Seem to be picking up the banshee stuff well. Shee doesn't look bad at all, I would have some new domes cut for your head (assuming you still have trinity domes in it) and you will thank yourself for making jetting it much easier.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on the domes? Judging by the stamp I'm guessing these are 18cc. No idea if they are trinity.

18cc domes - does that mean race gas? Seems everything I read about pump gas setups are 20 or 21. Everyone saying 18-19 is race gas unless you're at high elevation. Which I am, but I'm not sure how that works.

Another fella that I looked at his bike just got back to me this morning. Lives an hour away. Got a rebuilt banshee that runs good but needs a seat for $1900. Now I really feel like I ate it on this one.

I'm just pissed about getting taken. I know it is an okay deal. But I didn't buy it because it was okay. I thought I was getting a really good deal on something that just needed some carb tuning and a good clean. The dude let me drive 7 hours to pick up this pile of crap and swore up and down he was positive on everything being good parts and what he told me. I could have bought another banshee that needed a grip of work for a lot less here. I looked at one in town here that was in great shape and ran excellent for $2700 but it was stock. I went after this one because it was supposed to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

once you put it together compression test it and that will tell you which octane you need to run. 

You have a handful of good parts there. better start then i had for sure.  

That Trinity setup isnt a bad setup its before trinity really became crappy.   should have some good power IMO  its just a old school build from before they made aftermarket cylinders etc.  

The only thing to really check is that the crank is welded.  otherwise it will be a pretty good piece.  looks like mostly cosmetic issues which can be fixed over time.   

trust me, if i knew of this site before i bought mine i wouldnt have bought it live and learn, i had a shee, got out of the game, and when i came back had to get one again.  more fun to drive then most, especially once you get yourself set up. 

you didnt get a bad deal unless that thing has zero compression.  throw the dome o rings back on and compression test that thing then check the squish on it as well.  sounds like the dude "thought" it was a 421 cub because it was a 420 bore, ive seen tons of people online say i have a 421 cub blah blah blah when they have a 421 driveline motor or an athena etc. anything that is 420 cc basically. maybe he was lying who knows, too late for that, anyways i can tell you this at least the motor doesnt have trinity PLUG LOCKS on it.  Also that jetting might not be too far off. what "kit" did you order? and what needle is in it. I have a set of CEL needles id give you if you need some

Edited by Ayesully810
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ayesully810 said:

you didnt get a bad deal unless that thing has zero compression.  throw the dome o rings back on and compression test that thing then check the squish on it as well.  sounds like the dude "thought" it was a 421 cub because it was a 420 bore, ive seen tons of people online say i have a 421 cub blah blah blah when they have a 421 driveline motor or an athena etc. anything that is 420 cc basically. maybe he was lying who knows, too late for that, anyways i can tell you this at least the motor doesnt have trinity PLUG LOCKS on it.  Also that jetting might not be too far off. what "kit" did you order? and what needle is in it. I have a set of CEL needles id give you if you need some

It ran sort of when I picked it up. Just pouring fuel everywhere. I rode it up and down his block to see it went through the gears. Just felt like a bike that was jetted way wrong that was overflowing. So it probably has adequate compression, but we will see. I'll try and rent a gauge and check it tomorrow or Friday after work. What is standard for these things? And what is squish? I've seen that mentioned multiple times, but have no idea what it is. 

The kits I ordered were just Keihin jet kits with a large range of pilots and mains. No needles in them. I'm not sure what needle is on the slide now. Are these slotted/adjustable? Or fixed and you have to shim?

Frankly, when I started hunting for a quad, I wanted a raptor 700r for the fuel injection and the reverse. Still do honestly. I love riding two stroke dirtbikes, but I'm so damn tired of playing with carbs. Fuel injection is just so much easier. I'm screwing with the damn new carbs on the pile of shit 660 raptor I bought too. 

I cleaned the carbs. Can't see any visible wear on the needle or seat. I adjusted the float level to 16mm which is what I found online for that carb and it appears about right for the angle. I haven't reinstalled and tried yet. Plan to this weekend.

It isn't that carbs are difficult it just gets old screwing with them. Hot? Pull em and change jets. Cold? Change again. Going up a hill? Change em. Going down? Change em. Fuel injection is a superior product. Not that I'm afraid of carbs. I work on street bikes quite a bit so I'm use to dealing with the compromises of carburation. Doesn't mean I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1