What did I get myself into?

abqjt

Alright so finally had a little time to start on it this afternoon. Built the leakdown tester, bought a hand pump so I didn't kill it with my compressor. Pumped it up to 7lbs and it lost about 4 pounds in 2 minutes. Soaped it up, found a leak on the bottom of the reed on the left side, Tightened that up, pressurized it again, 7lbs and lost about 1.5lbs in 6 minutes. Soaped it up again and realized my tester was leaking slightly. Fixed that, pumped it up again and lost about .75 psi in 6 minutes.

I've read multiple answers on what is acceptable here. 1 psi per minute loss? 1 psi over 6 minutes? Or should it hold 6 psi solid for 6 minutes? I appear to be in an acceptable range now assuming either of the first two are good. But if it has to hold 6 psi without any loss for 6 minutes, then it has to be leaking somewhere on the bottom end inside. So would you guys say I'm good to move forward on testing the other items?

Alright so finally had a little time to start on it this afternoon. Built the leakdown tester, bought a hand pump so I didn't kill it with my compressor. Pumped it up to 7lbs and it lost about 4 pounds in 2 minutes. Soaped it up, found a leak on the bottom of the reed on the left side, Tightened that up, pressurized it again, 7lbs and lost about 1.5lbs in 6 minutes. Soaped it up again and realized my tester was leaking slightly. Fixed that, pumped it up again and lost about .75 psi in 6 minutes.
I've read multiple answers on what is acceptable here. 1 psi per minute loss? 1 psi over 6 minutes? Or should it hold 6 psi solid for 6 minutes? I appear to be in an acceptable range now assuming either of the first two are good. But if it has to hold 6 psi without any loss for 6 minutes, then it has to be leaking somewhere on the bottom end inside. So would you guys say I'm good to move forward on testing the other items?
I personally would find the leak at 1psi over 6 mins. A lot of people will say run it as well, that is borderline imo.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Lowflyin said:

I personally would find the leak at 1psi over 6 mins. A lot of people will say run it as well, that is borderline imo.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I soaped up everything on the top really well and found and fixed the obvious leaks. I can't see where the .75 psi is coming from if it is up top. If it is on the lower end, that is gonna require tearing the whole thing out and tearing it down. I'd really rather not do that unless it is absolutely going to cause me problems. If it should be fine where it is, to get it to a rideable and sellable condition, then that is where I'd like to keep it. Honestly, not thinking about making it perfect, but making it work, do you think I'm okay where I'm at?

If you have a air leak it will be very near impossible to tune and could burn the top end up.

The stator cover, flywheel, and stator, can be pulled and the seal on that side can be sprayed with soap,
There is a hose coming from the WAterpump cover, and the crankcase breather hose(coming from white elbow below rear motor mount) can be put into soapy water to check for bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm back. Kinda. I hadn't even looked at the bike for some months. Figured I'd revisit it. I retested and sprayed and sure enough air leak coming from the breather hose off the right side of the motor. 

I was hopeful and said to hell with it and slapped it together to see if I could "run it as it is" and it wouldn't even start without ether. With ether, it started and idled alright. Then one of the carbs started leaking so obviously float isn't set right. For giggles I rode it to my back yard and back to see if it was any better after patching up the leak on the reed, and no, it isn't. It still sucks. 

So what do you guys think I need to order to make this damn thing run right? Seals I'm sure for the lower end. I'm not going to mess with the wiring since it will run as it is. Oh well about no kill switch. Anything else that is a "MUST REPLACE" item while it is on the bench torn apart? 

I'm gonna re-read through this thread and try to figure out what is what again. I've forgotten most of it already. Then do some searching if I find any answers. 

20 minutes ago, Deets said:

Fix your air leak, this is killing you. 
if the problem still persists I’d look at fuel delivery. 
fuel filter 

fuel shutoff 

hoses

even possible air leak in the carb

Yeah that is the plan at this point to start with. Yank the whole thing and tear it apart. Just not sure which seal kit to buy and if there are any other failure parts in there that I should do anyway. I know the transmission is leaking, but I haven't identified where. just know it bled all over the floor. 

The petcock doesn't appear to be leaking so I'll probably leave that alone. 

Hoses all appear good but those are cheap items so I can grab them at the parts store if I see any worn ones. 

As for air leaks in the carbs - yeah who knows. Maybe. I'm not even sure how to test that. 

The shutoff doesn’t have to be leaking, it could have gunk in it restricting flow. I’d drain the tank, check fuel filter, and maybe spray some cleaner or compressed air through it. 

Edited by Deets

The shutoff doesn’t have to be leaking, it could have gunk in it restricting flow. I’d drain the tank, check fuel filter, and maybe spray some cleaner or compressed air through it. 

It's flowing. Right out the overflow of the right carb lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...