What did I get myself into?

abqjt

I will say this, beginning on a banshee as your primary bike takes patience to learn all the ins and outs, 3 years ago i knew basically nothing.  Learning to tune is a very important thing.  I run the same jets year round because, its not a drag bike where im racing for money or competition, so I dont need max power year round.  I run on the rich side basically ALL summer.   So if im going to the dunes, the extra load or hills wont matter because im jetted  safe to begin with, then come fall my jetting is perfect.  Then once it drops under 45 im done riding because its cold af.  Also if your dialed in on your needle and pilot,  The main jet and air fuel screw is the only thing you have to adjust. (takes 5 mins)  Just trying to make a case for the banshee, because it sounds like from the sounds of it all the stuff youve been buying, needs help. unless your going buy a almost new 700. go for it.   

squish is the clearance between the piston and dome. 

yes you can adjust the needle position on the slide with the shim. clips in and out. the top is lean the bottom is rich. needle marking on the needle by the top. 

Alright so I spent today working on bikes. Raptor is going. So that's good. Banshee I did a compression test on. And a squish check based on a YouTube video. Here's what I got.

135 psi per cylinder
Squish on right cylinder=1.67mm and 1.7mm
Squish on left 1.6mm and 1.8mm

So what I take from that is that I need to properly torque the head. And hopefully the rental OEM brand gauge from autozone is reading a little low. Motor was obviously totally cold as it hasn't been started in a week or so now.

What do you guys think? Where do I go from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I just want it to run well enough for me to see if I prefer the banshee over the other ones. If I fall in love with it then I can research and play with it until it is crazy or ride it like it is if I feel it is enough.

Well I need to find out what type of filters to buy. I tried cleaning and re-shaping these K&N and they are just too far gone and they don't fit very well in the bike. Would like to order whatever parts I need to make this thing go by next weekend. 

I'm just gonna leave the jetting in the carb that was there before so I'm not changing too many variables at once. Switched the needle to the middle slot from the top to richen it up a little and see how that does. Float levels should be set well enough now. Pump gas - 91? Or do I need 93? And mix 40-1?

Alright. I got the bike put together. It isn't leaking fuel anymore. I do appear to have a trans drip though. Not sure from where.

It started up on the 3rd kick and idled well. Did that a couple times. Then went to test ride it and it died and wouldn't start for about 5 minutes after about 50 kicks. Finally got it to go. Revs nice in neutral. Put it in 1st and it doesn't really have shit for power. Feels like it is falling on its face about halfway through the gear, then revs a little louder but doesn't move any faster. 2nd and 3rd gear it has hardly any power and is sputtering. 

So.....jetting is obviously wrong. I'm not sure which way to go with which one. 

Anyone have a good video I can watch to get an idea of what this thing should accelerate like? I rode another one, and it felt like no power too, but I'm not sure if that bike was in the greatest shape either. Maybe these just don't feel all that powerful compared to 4 strokes? Having never been on one I know is good, I have no baseline to know if I'm just not liking it, or if it isn't running right. 

Also need to find a wiring diagram. They cut the wires to the hand controls, so it doesn't have a kill switch. Wires are just twisted under the tank. 

Edited by abqjt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 375hp banshees said:

If you're not getting into your power band ,you will be disappointed. Does it break up at all free reving.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. It revs pretty high, but I feel no power. I feel a slight amount of power right of the throttle break, but beyond 10-20% throttle, it just gets more disappointing. 

As a note, the other one that is sitting in my yard right now, it starts and runs, and it screams as far as RPMs go, but has shit for power either. I was thinking something may be wrong with that one on the clutch. Problem with having a busted bike to compare a busted bike to. 

8 hours ago, abqjt said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. It revs pretty high, but I feel no power. I feel a slight amount of power right of the throttle break, but beyond 10-20% throttle, it just gets more disappointing. 

As a note, the other one that is sitting in my yard right now, it starts and runs, and it screams as far as RPMs go, but has shit for power either. I was thinking something may be wrong with that one on the clutch. Problem with having a busted bike to compare a busted bike to. 

banshwdc.jpg

Ok I'm coming here without reading the whole conversation but did you check T. O. R. S?
On my shee parking brake switch was giving me shit so i unplugged the whole TORS box. Mine would ide no probs whatsoever but wouldn't pass 2k revs

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Alright. I got the bike put together. It isn't leaking fuel anymore. I do appear to have a trans drip though. Not sure from where.
It started up on the 3rd kick and idled well. Did that a couple times. Then went to test ride it and it died and wouldn't start for about 5 minutes after about 50 kicks. Finally got it to go. Revs nice in neutral. Put it in 1st and it doesn't really have shit for power. Feels like it is falling on its face about halfway through the gear, then revs a little louder but doesn't move any faster. 2nd and 3rd gear it has hardly any power and is sputtering. 
So.....jetting is obviously wrong. I'm not sure which way to go with which one. 
Anyone have a good video I can watch to get an idea of what this thing should accelerate like? I rode another one, and it felt like no power too, but I'm not sure if that bike was in the greatest shape either. Maybe these just don't feel all that powerful compared to 4 strokes? Having never been on one I know is good, I have no baseline to know if I'm just not liking it, or if it isn't running right. 
Also need to find a wiring diagram. They cut the wires to the hand controls, so it doesn't have a kill switch. Wires are just twisted under the tank. 
Having bunch of wires like that is not fun at all but be patient,if you have some basic electrical knowledge (and it looks like you do) you will be onto it in no time because banshees are simple machines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the diagram.

I don't even know what the tors is. I'll have to do some research.

I don't know what it is revving to as a number goes, but it's spinning pretty high. Not as high as the other banshee, but sounds like a lot more than 2k.

Maybe I'll take a video put it on YouTube and link to it here for reference. Maybe. This weekend I'll have a little time.

• Like 2