Brake Pads not leaving enough room for the disc.

doug

Hi Gents,

I'm trying to install a new set of rear brake pads.  Typically a dead simple job.  I've opened the caliper using a c-clamp so that only about 1mm is out, as shown in the attached photo.

Despite this, there is not enough room between the new pads for the disc.  I checked the brake pads and they are the correct ones.

Any ideas that the hell is going wrong?  I must be losing my mind.

Thanks.

Brake.JPG

Hard for me to tell. I just went through this process a few months back and when I had no pressure in the lines I moved the piston in farther. I’d hate to have you re bleed for nothing though if it does t work. I rented the vacuum tool and it made all the difference 

I went back out to the garage and removed the parking brake and then the I was able to compress the piston all the way in.  Shown in red in the pic.  The outside portion goes in as well.  Once I did this, the pads fit fine and I was riding.  Thanks for the help.  Does anyone know what the "button" and cap inside the red are for?  Looks like mine was glued at one point, but now it will just fall out when the pads are out.

brake-2.jpg

On the top of the piston there is something that looks like a thick quarter.  On top of that is a cap.  In my case, both came out when I took the pads off.  I put them back on, so it's not that important, I was just curious.  I've looked at the microfiche and don't see them.

• 1 month later...