First time flat track questions

JustA01Shee

Hey all, local dirt track here is having an atv flat track race for the first time in forever, the guy said it's all ages and skill levels just to see the interest in making this a regular thing out there, thinking about running my Shee out there but unsure, it's stock other than pro circuit pipes, and pod filters, I have the original dirt tires on it, but my backs are 22's with not much tread, race is tomorrow night, should I try and find some tires before then and if so what size and what tires do y'all like best that's not a straight flat track tire?  Or should I just run it how it is and go slow and see what happens? Thanks guys

high profile tires will make your bike extremely "tippy".

for flat track you want low profile tires....  19 fronts 18 rears is the more popular choice for flat track .  for now typically any tire would work for you at the mentioned profile  but ofcourse actual TT tires would definitely benefit you  (also depends on what kind of dirt track) 

also a cheap alternative to lowering your bike one of those drop kits.    Now there's nothing wrong with using those on a budget.. I actually always used the rear lowering link as well as MANY others do.  the front links are somewhat MEH as your much better off with proper shocks but yea. 

If you can get your hands on atleast   lower profile tires and a drop kit.. youl be fairly comfortable for a starter.      

I think the main thing I'm gonna focus on is trying to find some lower profile tires before tomorrow, I've never done this kind of stuff before and if I enjoy it I doubt I'll end up running the banshee all the time so I don't want to lower it, it's mainly my sand toy(I ride the Oregon coast alot, like 90% of my riding) but I have an old z400 that maybe I'll completely set up for flat track once I get it running again, mainly I was just wanting to know how big of a problem the tires would be and if I could at least go try it out, I'm gonna try to find some smaller tires and just go give it a shot though, something I've always wanted to do so why not while they have it going

The thing is.. the better you are set up the more fun your going to have.

right now as is... your going to have a hell of a time taking hard times while keeping the speed. 

I would for sure look for some lower profile tires.. esp considering you have 22" tires on there.  and go from there.

If you did consider the drop kit down the road... it takes 10 mins to do the front    and maybe 10 for the rear. 

11 hours ago, 375hp banshees said:

If by dirt tires you mean knobbie style, Some tracks won't t let u run knobbies, better make sure before going/ buying tires

good catch.. I went and assumed  he was ok with knobbies.... lol...   I know around here most "back yard" racing events are almost a free for all.

The issue with back yard racing events is.... poorly set up bikes can cause havoc on the track... ive seen guys show up to race at events and get bitched out by other rides for not being properly set up to run the track as that person becomes an obstacle and liability on the track for himself and others. 

A big reason why a lot of places but in certain "rules / requirements" for the bikes .

Edited by ride.race.live

No one mentioned anything about a swaybar yet????? I ran the rear lowering link for years. The front lowering kits scare me. Definitely need to get some smaller tires on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk