Alternatives to powder coat

JustA01Shee

Hey all! Just stepped up from my kfx 400 and bought my first banshee! A banshee has always been my dream bike and it's killing me knowing it's out in the garage and I can't ride it because I only have paddles, anyways, it's a 2001, and all stock other than pro circuit pipes, on filters, and a bumpers/bars, paint is old, and missing areas, your usual old pain on a arms and springs, I'm wanting to tear it down a bit and paint the a arms, the springs, the hubs, and the swingarm, and come wintertime I'm gonna tear down all the way and powder coat the frame. I don't want to powder the arms or springs because here in the next couple years(2-3 hopefully) I want to do new shocks, long travel setup, and an extended swinger since I plan a little motor work as well and I'll just get all of that stuff powdered since it will be on the bike long term where as for the cost I can't justify powdering the stock stuff, so what are some alternatives to powder cost that will look and hold up good? This will be mainly sand only with maybe a little bit of dirt time a few times a year but I have a dirt bike for that so mainly sand for the shee, super stoked to go hit the sand and get this thing looking good! Also planning on cutting the front plastics, thanks for any and all advice guys, so happy to finally have one of these bikes!!! Would post pictures but not sure how to,help figuring that out would be great too haha!

Powder coating is nowhere near the same price at rattle can, I cant afford to powder right now because I’m a high school senior trying to save the majority of my money to move out of the house and get through college without any student loans, hoping to get some scholarships from spending 4 years in auto and metal classes but still wanting to save majority to pay for school, that’s why right now I’m trying to do all of this low buck, i thought about selling or trading my stock uncut, but they’re kind of jacked , previous owner looks like rolled it a couple times based on all the white like stretch marks on the otherwise blue plastics, which is why I don’t mind cutting them

Edited by JustA01Shee
Spelling

50 minutes ago, 97Screamer said:

Powder coating is about the same price as buying spray paint. No offense but if you can't afford powder an old banshee is not for you. Also uncut fenders are valuable, sell or trade those for cut ones and apply money towards powder.

ben you know i love you, but rustoleum primer and spray paint is cheap as hell lol will prolly only need to spend like 40 bucks max to properly do the frame with primer , spray and clear.  prep work on the frame will determine how well it turns out though

I've got access to a sandblaster big enough to do the whole frame in my fabrication class, and I can do all of the painting in our full-size paint booth in my auto body class, I was mainly just curious about how well the rattle can route will hold up until I have the funding available to powder it properly, my main concern was how the springs will do and if the paint will flex enough without chipping

14 minutes ago, kawa110 said:

Tony didn’t you rattle can that black frame bike you flipped?

i did and i didnt prep the frame right and it turned out 6/10 after riding it a bit bc i had never rattled a frame before.  had i prepped the frame right it would have been a lot better.  literally the cheapest place i could find in michigan was in gladwin for PC.  250$ to get everything sand blasted and coated.  everything else was well above 500 for just powder

Edited by Ayesully810

Love you too Tony 😘. I was exaggerating on the price of spray paint vs. powder but if you buy a gun powder is actually cheaper than spray paint for a DIY.  I will never understand spending ~40 hours tearing a bike completely down and rebuilding it to skimp out on a couple hundred in powder. No matter what you do it will look like crap after a couple rides, no amount of sanding, priming, etc will change that. One of my bikes has powder that was done in 1998 and it still looks minty.

• Like 2