Budget shock/arm setup

atvfreestylekid

What's a good budget arm and shock combo to go with these days? I've been out of the banshee scene for a while and don't know what all new stuff is available these days. Back in my day, roll design and elkas was the best of the best and stay away from full flight, asr, etc. Anyways, I'm not an aggressive rider anymore, I just pretty much like to haul ass across fields and such. So no jumping and stuff. I mainly just want to get this shitty yfz front end off of my shee. It's stiff as fuck, handles like shit, and sits too low as everyone on here already knows. I did this bs mod over 10 years ago and wish i never did. I'd go back stock if I could find my old parts.

Edited by atvfreestylekid

Your budget build for arms and shocks will fully depend on what you WANT / CAN spend....

works and elka's stage 1 or legacy series are a good budget shock... 

as for a arms... there's mixed reviews on the alba a arms (my buddy has some on his raptor and they been solid, other then bushings wearing out fairly quick but easy to replace) 

If you want a peace of mind full pakcage....  LSR, laeger, Fireball etc are the ones most would recommend...

Fireball LT a arms  $750     Elka stage 1 shocks are about 600usd new

Edited by ride.race.live
  • Like 1

Sorry for the late reply guys but thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure i’m set on the alba’s. And I always like going through site sponsors. How well do those fox floats hold up over time? They’re an air shock right? Never ran anything like that. Anyone still run marvin shaws these days? I remember they were pretty popular back in the day. But i do remember the floats were getting pretty popular. 

19 hours ago, dano3 said:

Alba just came out with an updated version of their long travel arms that are much nicer that the previous version. Make sure you get the new version if you do go with the Albas. 

Any pictures or links? This is the first I've heard of a new style and can't find any info on it.

Main differences are stainless steel tie rods, reuses stock dust caps and stock steel sleeves, addition of zerk fittings, and matte black powder which is higher quality compared to old ones. Alba also says the geometry has been changed but i did not measure the motion ratio on old arms to compare. I do know the tie rods are longer. New arms use the same ball joints. I will post more pics in my build thread later.

ad05a15a6c4b3b8917a58bafb7c73e58.jpg

aa928ab165a4797b7dfa67083ef674a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Idk guys, I might stick with the 450 front end, after riding it a bit. I hate how low it sits, but the steering is super stiff which I think helps keep me from pulling the bars to one side when I accelerate. Idk, I'll have to play on it some more.
Regular fox floats are ~550 through ATVgalaxy , miles better than yfz shocks on a shee. 9dcc3a41821f978529727c973aa9e949.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Idk guys, I might stick with the 450 front end, after riding it a bit. I hate how low it sits, but the steering is super stiff which I think helps keep me from pulling the bars to one side when I accelerate. Idk, I'll have to play on it some more.
This is a very stupid comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Since i have one fuckin arm and my bike is a ported 4-mill, seems like it’s very reasonable logic...
Then that is an even worse reason.
You should be more about setting it up correctly and working properly.
Not tight binding steering and F'd up geometry.
You say you dont like how low it is, but you'll keep it because the steering is tight.
There is no logic there.
Steering stabilizer, proper shocks, proper arms. That seems like logic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk