Banshee Clutch Pressure Plate issue

Steven66

I tried searching for this issue but I could not find a definite answer.

I recently picked up a couple banshees, one of which has a 392 kit with a HD clutch upgrade. As it sat, the clutch did not work at all. The seller did not specify who he bought the clutch kit from and when I pulled the cover off to inspect it, the adjustment rod and nut were completely backed out and loose. I followed the factory specs aligning the lever with the arrow on the case and the clutch now works, but I cannot torque down the pressure plate bolts. If I torque down the bolts to 7 ft/lbs (which is what I believe the recommended spec is), the clutch completely locks up to the point where I cannot pull the clutch lever. If I back out the bolts about 3.5 turns, the clutch works like normal. The entire assembly doesn't seem to be missing any parts. What could be the issue?

1 minute ago, 97Screamer said:

The arrows on the case are not always accurate with aftermarket clutches. Adjust the clutch so you have about a 1/4" of play in the lever and go ride.

Setting the lever to the arrow is the only place it works at. Ive got about a nickel's worth of free play at the handlebar. Any looser, the clutch rod wont fully actuate the clutch. Any tighter, the clutch wont budge. I have a hunch it might be the springs he used because they don't look stock. They could possibly be completely compressed with the coils contacting. Ill be able to look again this weekend.

17 hours ago, ledofthezep said:

Be like my kids and find a video! Lol. Really though, check this one out...is how I adjust mine, just skip to the point and you'll get it.

I followed that video exactly. I made sure I did the process exactly how he did it yet I still have the same outcome. I did it multiple times too.

Let it be known that I followed this video before posting my issue here. I can find how-to videos and follow them no problem. This is why I am figuring that there some wrong/missing part that's causing this.

Edited by Steven66

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 3:57 PM, locogato11283 said:

Pull a spring a post a picture.

Forgot to update the thread. I pulled the springs and found out the previous owner had installed some super long springs from another bike. They were like a half-inch or so longer than stock springs. They were coil binding when torqued all the way down which was why my clutch kept locking up after torquing to spec. I replaced them with a set of 20% springs and it works great now.