Ricky Stator regulator with stock stator LED Question

My buddy put a RS DC Stator kit (rs200b5t) on his 2001 Banshee (that has a newer motor so the kit is for the 1995) and for reasons unknown to me, the bike lost power while using this stator. He installed the old stator and it ran fine, His bike tech told him that the stator will not work. He asked me to help him get his LEDs going and so I was reading this website, http://www.jlengineering.org/banshee-stator-dc-convers.html about floating the ground on the old stator and using a regulator/rectifier to get the 12vdc i am looking for to get his LEDs going. I floated the ground according to the directions (exactly like the directions) and tested it using the ricky stator regulator that came with the ricky stator kit. I get around 13vac-15vac at idle into the regulator, but only about half in the output in DC, and when the engine revs the output voltage actually drops to 1vdc or even less. Another weird thing is that when i adjusted the voltage on the regulator it caused the bike to idle high and start vibrating. My question is, do i have a bad regulator or is this not even designed to be used this way. I know that the regulator is designed to be used with the ricky stator but i just figured that the outputs should be AC on either otherwise why would it come with a rectifier/regulator rather than just a regulator. Is the output from a RS DC stator actually DC?  My buddy tried to order the kit from jlengineering to make it easier but they are not in stock for a few weeks. am i SOL with the ricky stator regulator? 

I installed my JL engineering dc conversion a month or two ago. It works great with my led headlights and brake light. I floated the ground on my stock stator. There's no way in hell I'm using anything but an oem stator on my banshee. John at JL also provided excellent communication if that matters.

42 minutes ago, RagunCajun said:

I installed my JL engineering dc conversion a month or two ago. It works great with my led headlights and brake light. I floated the ground on my stock stator. There's no way in hell I'm using anything but an oem stator on my banshee. John at JL also provided excellent communication if that matters.

Part is ordered from js engineering. Should be here in about a week hopefully. Did you install an led tail light as well?

Yes a cheap ebay one

I'm sure there has to be better led tail lights available. Now that I know the conversion and wiring works well, I am not afraid to waste money on something more expensive. The ebay headlights suck too. I'll get some rigid pods if I ride at night more.