I’m back in the 2 stroke world

Firemn260

So as of last week I’m the owner of a 03 or 04 limited edition banshee. It belonged to a neighbor of mine and I had been trying to get him to sell it to me for a while. I was finally able to trade him a 454 short block that I had laying around that he wanted. 

It is bone stock and he has owned it since new. It’s been rode hard but I do know he has kept up on all the maintenance.  Unfortunately it has sat outside for a while so it’s a bit rusty and the plastic could use some love. He told me it ran fine but then it developed a no spark issue. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but he said it probably needs a new stator or maybe some othe ignition odds and ends. I looked into some new ignition components and they don’t seem to be cheap from Yamaha so I’m hoping aftermarket will work just as good. Anything I should know to stay away from?

i had a 2000 banshee that I went wild with engine mods and although it was fast, it was a bear to ride on trails and tight woods that I’m used to riding in. Except for the usual airflow and exhaust mods I think I’m going to leave the motor alone untill it’s time for a rebuild. I ride a yfz now but I just got that two stroke itch again. I grew up riding and working on oil burners. I’m looking forward to tinkering with this quad but like I said I’m going to keep this one mild this time. 

I’m glad I found this forum and I look forward to gaining and sharing information. 

get an ohm meter (digital multi meter) and ohm out all electrical components (stator, coil primary, and coil secondary leads, spark plug boots) can trim plug wires back to see if that works too first, start with easy stuff before you go spending money you dont need, unfortunately you cant test cdi only replace with a known working one.  start there then buy if needed. HQ fb swap page will yield your parts at a discounted price. oem parts only 

Edited by Ayesully810

• 2 weeks later...