Just bought my first banshee and not sure what gas to use

brozillo

So I am officially a banshee owner as of a couple weeks ago. I have owned dirt bikes (mainly 4 stroke) my whole life, but I always wanted a banshee. That's the only quad I would buy. This thing was completely restored from the ground up and I have no trouble with it except what gas to run in it.

I asked for a list of all then engine work and parts. The owner sent me this. The guy who had it before him is the guy who built the banshee:

-Athena 421cc, +4mm crank, trued and welded with heavy duty bearings.

-Adjustable timing plate, high output stator, light weight flywheel.

-Keihin 30-32mm flat slide carbs, internal cross over intake, vforce reeds and cages

-fmf sst pipes and powercore mufflers.

Now when I first got it, John (the guy I bought it from) had avgas in it mixed 50:1. When I brought it back to my buddys house to really test it out, it ran like a beast. However when I tried to start it again after it was hot it would just not start. I let it cool off to get it to start again. So I contacted John about this and he asked a banshee mechanic about it. The mechanic said to just put 93 octane in it with ethanol treatment fluid. So that's what I did. Next time I rode it was at field of dreams track in new jersey. I had the gas mixed 40:1 with just 93 pump gas. For the first 20 mins of riding the banshee I was pretty satisfied with pump gas, until it start sputtering really bad when the engine finally got pretty hot. It sounded like it was choking for gas, but I know it wasn't running lean. The smoke was blue coming out of exhausts. I rode the banshee one more time after the sputtering, and within 5 mins it started doing it again, and I parked it for the rest of the day because I worried of blowing the engine.

Please treat me as dumb here, because this banshee is a little more complex then I thought as far as engine work goes. I have been doing a lot research about certain things, but there are so many opinions out there it drives me insane.

If someone could direct me in the right direction with what gas/octane to use I would appreciate that. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, we actually did a whole blog on our website about the type of fuel to run in your banshee if you are intersted in checking it out go to www.redo-parts.com 

check out the blogs section and you will find it.  hope this helps, cheers from Redo Banshee Parts and Accessories 

you need to get the jetting correct on this and make sure no air leaks in motor. Some things to look at reeds might need replacing, pilot jetting too rich maybe explains the no start when hot but starts when cold... 

also have an extra oem stator on hand as well as oem coil. Cdi's usually work or don't but wouldn't hurt to have one as well.