Elka Legacy Series - Anyone have these?

doug

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the Elka Legacy Series setup?  I want to upgrade my stock suspension (front/rear) because I'm getting beat to hell.  I ride mainly pits, trails and some roads...no racing or anything extreme.

https://ca.elkasuspension.com/sports-racing-atv/legacy-series-atv-shock-absorbers/

I'm looking for any thoughts on them....I like the price point and the idea of keeping the bike narrow.  My pals are always getting hung up in trees with their wide suspension setups.

Thanks.

They are a good value and a great upgrade from stock. If its in your budget spring for the rebound adjustment on the fronts. Elka are known for sending stiff setups so error on the side of a less stiff setup when giving the spec. Then after you ride them for a while send them to someone to get rebuilt and revalved and you'll really have a nice set of shocks for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 97Screamer said:

They are a good value and a great upgrade from stock. If its in your budget spring for the rebound adjustment on the fronts. Elka are known for sending stiff setups so error on the side of a less stiff setup when giving the spec. Then after you ride them for a while send them to someone to get rebuilt and revalved and you'll really have a nice set of shocks for a reasonable price.

Revalve them - after approx. how long, I'm imagine years and many weekends?  I thought you only did this when a shock was worn out...?

18 minutes ago, doug said:

Revalve them - after approx. how long, I'm imagine years and many weekends?  I thought you only did this when a shock was worn out...?

It is my experience that Elka shocks have much more potential than they demonstrate out of the box. Having them revalved by a good builder will make them better and run you about $200. I would ride them as is for a while, til you get the feel for them, then send them in so you see the difference. You can of course wait til your first rebuild to have them valved or never do it at all, it was just a recommendation. I recommend you get your shocks rebuilt at least every 50 hours  but lots of people wait til they leak to get it done. Remember they are full of oil that wears out just like in your transmission, the more you service them the longer the internals will last and the better they perform.

I should also mention there are better shocks available but for new at your price point I think the ones you're looking at are the best value.

Edited by 97Screamer

Yah I'd shy away from generic elkas, but they are better than stock for sure. Works shocks is back up and running it looks like they just changed their name to worx. They made a pretty decent set up for the price.

http://www.worxshocks.com/html/home.html

I am starting to think the elka distribution shop in the US is being run by  chimps from the sound of it.

(elka has a Canadian and a US production shop last I checked) 

Because 3 of my close friends got the legacy series kit   1 for ltr 450 1 for a raptor 700 and another for a kfx 450.   and all 3 bikes run smooth and perform very well with the elkas.

I did spend some time with then dialing in the shocks for their bikes (out of the box they where abit all over on the settings)  but the shocks werent even close to as bad as what people are claiming from the US.   their shocks performed just as well as another bike (450r)   that was running floats with a rebuilt / valved rear. 

How good or bad the Elka’s are is a matter of chance. You may get a perfect setup, you may end up with shit.

You do get a good shock for cheap, they’re just hit and miss on valve and spring accuracy. I’d go for the stage 4 legacy since they have hi, low, and rebound adjustment. You’ll at least have some control over how they perform at that point.

Send shocks out after a period of time, after certain hours of use, or once you reach the end of your adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am starting to think the elka distribution shop in the US is being run by  chimps from the sound of it.

Because 3 of my close friends got the legacy series kit   1 for ltr 450 1 for a raptor 700 and another for a kfx 450.   and all 3 bikes run smooth and perform very well with the elkas.
I did spend some time with then dialing in the shocks for their bikes (out of the box they where abit all over on the settings)  but the shocks werent even close to as bad as what people are claiming from the US.   their shocks performed just as well as another bike (450r)   that was running floats with a rebuilt / valved rear. 
Because Murican are dumb dumb.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, ride.race.live said:

ELKA does NOT manufacture shocks in the United States. 

They do have service centers located in the United States. ALL MANUFACTURING is done in Canada. Hence why the shocks say "Made in Canada"

4 minutes ago, specialblend07 said:

ELKA does NOT manufacture shocks in the United States. 

They do have service centers located in the United States. ALL MANUFACTURING is done in Canada. Hence why the shocks say "Made in Canada"

The shock's arn't pre built and shipped to the  service centers in the US...   most of those places should have the supplies in stock to build shocks in house and get shipped out. 

The Canadian warehouse  im sure supplies all their service centers with the supplies needed but I highly doubt there's 1 shop that builds / assembles all their shocks.

Just now, ride.race.live said:

The shock's arn't pre built and shipped to the  service centers in the US...   

Elka shocks are built at the Canadian facility. So yes, the shocks ARE shipped complete from the manufacturing center in Canada to customers/stores in the US.

The United States location is just a SERVICE center. It's not an ELKA facility, it's just a certified ELKA service facility.

dont quote me on this... but I swear I read somewhere that Elka also had a distribution center (where they assemble / build shocks)  for the US.  Iread this info somewhere on the elka site... but that was quite some time ago...

none the less don't matter.... their legacy shocks are a budget kit set up to say the least...

Let’s also remember that the same Stage 4 shock that Doug Gust won a national championship on is the same shock body that you get when you buy a Stage 4 legacy from Elka today.

The only goal of a shock is to mediate forces for up and down motion. Valving and spring rates can be made to serve all of that and they can very well be world class, just don’t expect that to happen right off the bat.

Elka has always made good shocks, just not good choices with valve and spring selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1