First ride in the books - Have some questions

Hey All, I have the first trip out on the Banshee in the books and happy to say it felt pretty successful. I have a couple questions to help me understand maybe what I need to do next to get it running 100%. I have the tors removed so I don’t know if this is related. I noticed that if I give full throttle it sorta bogs down and can’t get going to. If I only give it ½ to ¾ throttle I can hit the power band like a crazed banshee. When I first got it, getting it to start was a little hard. I did adjust the idle to get it do just that but its not synced. Tools will be ordered this week. I also see that I’m getting a small amount of fuel/oil all the way to the muffler. When I shut it down after two twenty minutes runs the left tip was burning and smelled almost like wax but idk exactly. Not sure if this was excess gas sitting in the pipes from over time being the idle was off. I plan to pull the exhaust and get a new gasket set on order.

Two other quick questions. How tight do I need to get the cap/top of the carbs that the cables connect through? Last week I took them off and had to use a channelock pliers to loosen them. When I reinstalled I only had it as tight as my hand could. I see some fuel drips on the bottom of the carb and I think is coming from there.

The other carb on the right I have excess gas coming from the bottom tube. Stuck float from reading and talking with a Yamaha mechanic. I just turn the petcock to off when not riding so I don’t have a mess to clean up. Pretty sure this thing was dunked in the river from the amount of sand I had already cleaned out from the carbs and airbox. I want to get a carb rebuild kit. Anyone have a recommendation on where to find that? I’ve looked online but just not sure of a brand that’s would be better. The carbs are stock oem from what I can tell. I don’t know anything about jetting either if that’s something I will be educating myself on while its apart and find some youtubes showing how to do it.

I also have only ran the gas in the tank and was planning on running 91 at a 32 ratio and a setup of NGK B8ES. I picked up a set at the Yamaha dealership and relived I should of got the BR8ES so wasn’t sure if I’m safe to run those or if that might be why I’m not getting peak power at full throttle.

sounds like your bog issue and your excess fuel in the exhaust is too rich of a main jet to me. 

I always just went as tight as i could with my hands for the top of the carbs.  

I would get the rebuilt kits from the sponsor FAST on there, they keep them in stock. 

and those are the correct plugs.  

I think i answered most of your questions lol

Yeah I found this hunk of gold last night here - http://www.dfn.com/agservices/jetfaq.html and started to digest it and I think your right on the main jets. The only concern I have is knowing what jets I have currently to know if I need to go down a size. Are they labeled or something to know the size? I plan on taking the carbs out this weekend and get parts hopefully next week. 

I had some time to pull the carbs to 1 see why they leaked excess gas from the over flow and 2 to see what jets I have. The bowl was fairly clean other than the main jets had some sand build up. The main jets are 310 and pilot jets 25. I think I’m going to up the pilots to 30 and see how it goes from there. I still don’t know why the gas overflows but with the cleaning it may if helped. Im waiting on other parts to arrive with a sync tool before booting it all back together.

I can’t find any information about my pipes to know what jetting they recommend so is there a ball park I should us to gauge my required jetting? I’ve got a open 2 to 1 aluminum air box with a knn and v4 reeds. It seems my 310 mine be under sized from the examples on the jetting faq page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

310s are on the rich side for your elevation and summer temps. 30 pilot will also be too big, try a 27.5 pilot. 300 might be a good place to start on the main jet but will probably be closer to a 290. You should set your float heights on the carbs as that will probably take care of your fuel overflow problem. Look up videos on youtube on how to do it. Post some pictures of your bike so everyone can see what pipes you have and anything else that may be done. 

I checked the floats and are right 21 mm. I noticed in my right carb doesn’t have a metal tube my left one does that goes around the gasket. fc7689d412e33c00fa39d18488ce47f9.jpg

Sorry for the newb questions.

That is for the choke circuit so only choke side carb will have it. Make sure the bowl with the BB goes back on the choke side carb. Pull out your float needles (under the tab on the float frame) and post a picture, that might be your overflowing problem. Either way, since you are that far into it, you might as well replace them. Also make sure you pull all the brass out and blow carb cleaner through all the circuits (pilot, main, air/fuel screw and jet). 

That is for the choke circuit so only choke side carb will have it. Make sure the bowl with the BB goes back on the choke side carb. Pull out your float needles (under the tab on the float frame) and post a picture, that might be your overflowing problem. Either way, since you are that far into it, you might as well replace them. Also make sure you pull all the brass out and blow carb cleaner through all the circuits (pilot, main, air/fuel screw and jet). 

7d1e0b76d2a588408dc12ea19a904d91.jpg

Is this what your talking about?

Yes, that brass piece is the float needle seat, the actual float needle has a rubber end that seals to the seat. What does the float needle look like. Call out which one was on the carb that was leaking if you post pics.

Yes, that brass piece is the float needle seat, the actual float needle has a rubber end that seals to the seat. What does the float needle look like. Call out which one was on the carb that was leaking if you post pics.

The tip look fine. I see a very fine little me but no indent. This is the leaky right carb.