Shearer custom sparkies/downturns

Ayesully810

Okay, I met this guy at the dunes (Jason skok) and he hooked me up with some custom sparkies that bolt into the end cap, I personally think they look badass, but I want to put a down turn to the outer plate for noise reduction. The inner diameter of the plate is 1 3/8, this is where I want to weld the down turn. I need help with dimensions and material, how to cut, bend etc. just any ideas in general would be nice. So far the ideas I’ve had would cost an arm and a leg to make 2x small down turns. Sparkies are made of aluminum. Thanks fellas

62bb28c23ec3b7fcef39dedb200920fc.jpg473813fcacbdf08ee79e8d377fa27e62.jpgd75e87177879e94f443ecad8bf00ef63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it reality is isnt going to change the loudness a ton, just the direction the loudness will be. 

That being said, i would go more for a 45" turn down.      you want something like this  https://www.mcmaster.com/#elbows/=1ds998v

i would also make a sheet metal flange so if you dont like them, they just unbolt. 

34 minutes ago, ginger said:

it reality is isnt going to change the loudness a ton, just the direction the loudness will be. 

That being said, i would go more for a 45" turn down.      you want something like this  https://www.mcmaster.com/#elbows/=1ds998v

i would also make a sheet metal flange so if you dont like them, they just unbolt. 

this?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-weld-pipe-elbows/=1ds9owi

its crazy that they are 50 bucks a pop lol

and ive read mixed stuff on sound. that thread where i stole the cpi silencer pic from said hes went down from like 104 to 98 or something close to that. but the angle was alittle more drastic.  idk if that matters or not, but either way I think it will give more to the look and def keep them away 

Edited by Ayesully810

3 minutes ago, Canadianshee said:

I would be intrested in a set of these spark arrestors.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

PM Jason Skok on facebook if you dont have fb let me know ill get in touch with him, hes on the HQ fb page

Tony,

With the mounting plate being aluminum sourcing aluminum tubing to weld to it may be pricey.  Another alternative I thought about was having someone make new mounting plates out of steel and you could use regular exhaust tubing and weld to the new flange.  This would make changing over from sparkies to the turn-downs quick.  Just undo the four bolts that hold the mounting flange and swap on whatever ones you want.  Doing a quick search on Summit Racing I found 1.5" 180 degree exhaust bend that you could use and weld to a new steel mounting flange.  I know it's not the 1.375" diameter you currently have but there still may be enough room to weld, it up and still get your four mounting screws in, tig weld would be even better probably.  Here is a link to a 180 degree bend, granted, it's polished 304 series stainless but it's also $14.99 and you could get both turn-downs out of it.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-622102/overview/

Thought I would share the idea and let you marinate on it.

Tony

33 minutes ago, coops03shee said:

Tony,

With the mounting plate being aluminum sourcing aluminum tubing to weld to it may be pricey.  Another alternative I thought about was having someone make new mounting plates out of steel and you could use regular exhaust tubing and weld to the new flange.  This would make changing over from sparkies to the turn-downs quick.  Just undo the four bolts that hold the mounting flange and swap on whatever ones you want.  Doing a quick search on Summit Racing I found 1.5" 180 degree exhaust bend that you could use and weld to a new steel mounting flange.  I know it's not the 1.375" diameter you currently have but there still may be enough room to weld, it up and still get your four mounting screws in, tig weld would be even better probably.  Here is a link to a 180 degree bend, granted, it's polished 304 series stainless but it's also $14.99 and you could get both turn-downs out of it.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-622102/overview/

Thought I would share the idea and let you marinate on it.

Tony

I actually just ordered 2 pipe fittings stainless steel 1 1/4 ID that im gunna hook to a sheet metal flange and epoxy them together and see if it holds up for the time being. that link would have been good too because i could just just cut it to fit because they are already bent

After I posted the reply I saw your comment in the shout box about getting the turn-downs lol.  Those sparkies you got are a nice looking piece, you'll have to post up some final pics once you get things put together.  When the time comes I may hit you up about contacting the gentleman making those.  Given how they are made with the screw on end cap there is a number of possibilities that you could make to suite your needs.

Tony

2 minutes ago, coops03shee said:

After I posted the reply I saw your comment in the shout box about getting the turn-downs lol.  Those sparkies you got are a nice looking piece, you'll have to post up some final pics once you get things put together.  When the time comes I may hit you up about contacting the gentleman making those.  Given how they are made with the screw on end cap there is a number of possibilities that you could make to suite your needs.

Tony

very true! yeah i like em. for sure. ill post some pics. it takes the 4 bolts to bolt on but i only tapped the 2 holes bc its really sturdy