Clutch spring rates

theputz

Heh, wind your own

http://firearmsdesigner.com/making-wire-springs-part-1-compression-springs/ for heavier springs you need a feed block and a jig for the chuck.... Made many a spring...

then a precision grinder to cut them to length...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16922360802177710821?q=surface+grinder+for+sale&biw=1450&bih=902&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX5v6wZA0D6LYLXrE6SY0iiJqZ069-jEMcb-696twfwBQgyCoSyMgWdyyDUn7lLzf_2Pg5V61vvad65hbb-sRUoUmY2CpBwdu4Pwqxae7_RgYhM_-ahIZAFPVH72ES2pK9M7QbC3bH9rVMLknLYHtxw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj846mM3bzbAhUGH6wKHcS1Be4Q8wII9AI

I have one very similar to this, only MUCH older in my barn...

Making shit is cool, but to get there you have to spend a shit load on tooling and machinery....

FUCK doing this for a living....

For asphalt I've been cutting OEM springs for over a decade.

Personally I think there are a lot of trail and open road quads out there that really don't need lockups but if you do and all you're looking for is to ease the lever pull to make the day's ride more comfortable go with stock springs. If you still have more pull than you care for just cut equal amount off of each spring. I use a dremel with a cut off disc.  

5 hours ago, Tedder said:

For asphalt I've been cutting OEM springs for over a decade.

Personally I think there are a lot of trail and open road quads out there that really don't need lockups but if you do and all you're looking for is to ease the lever pull to make the day's ride more comfortable go with stock springs. If you still have more pull than you care for just cut equal amount off of each spring. I use a dremel with a cut off disc.  

This is for 300ft sand drags. Do you find any binding with cut springs? Not quite flat anymore after cutting. 

obviously not having enough weight on a lockup for a bike that needs it will cause it to slip, but what about if you have more than you need?  Whats the down fall when that happens?   if any, besides a harder clutch pull

Edited by Ayesully810

6 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

obviously not having enough weight on a lockup for a bike that needs it will cause it to slip, but what about if you have more than you need?  Whats the down fall when that happens?   if any, besides a harder clutch pull

Bog when launching and pull down on the big end. There is alot that goes into spring pressure and clutch weight to make it work together 

Edited by JUSTWANNARACE

57 minutes ago, JUSTWANNARACE said:

Bog when launching and pull down on the big end. There is alot that goes into spring pressure and clutch weight to make it work together 

gotchya I see. I am Running 6 heavy springs with my lock up. I think the weight on the lock up (sling shot) is fine, but i think i could run oem springs or at least 3 and 3.  I dont have any of those symptoms though so Idk how to tell if its over kill or not.  and sorry to thread  hi jack 

Edited by Ayesully810

51 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

gotchya I see. I am Running 6 heavy springs with my lock up. I think the weight on the lock up (sling shot) is fine, but i think i could run oem springs or at least 3 and 3.  I dont have any of those symptoms though so Idk how to tell if its over kill or not.  and sorry to thread  hi jack 

If your weight is good(or light) to much spring will cause it to spin the tires out of the hole. In a perfect world you want light springs to slightly slip out of the hole(maximum acceleration) and enough weight on the lock up to take over that slip once the basket speed catches up with the hub speed.. 

52 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

If your weight is good(or light) to much spring will cause it to spin the tires out of the hole. In a perfect world you want light springs to slightly slip out of the hole(maximum acceleration) and enough weight on the lock up to take over that slip once the basket speed catches up with the hub speed.. 

15 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

See below.

15 hours ago, JUSTWANNARACE said:

To add to this, I didnt notice anything in my type of riding which is slow what what you do sully. You do ride in sand which causes way more stress/chances to slip under load than I do though.

14 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

I went from 3hd/3oem springs after 5+ years to 6 oem springs and the only thing i noticed was the lighter clutch pull. I refuse to use heavy springs again.

I also went to all the weight in my sling shot to reducing it two different times. I noticed no difference. Perhaps the clutch pull was a little tougher near or at WOT but it was not night and day. I still had to let off a moment to upshift which is why i reduced weight in the first place.

I would get used to launching your bike as is then drop down to 6 oem springs to see if you slip too much off the line in the sand. In dirt/grass like i do, youd be fine. I make more power than you and i run oem springs. However, like i said, i do not ride in sand with paddles.

You will have to experiment. Just tip the bike over on the flywheel side and adjust whatever. Due to my lack of riding ability + my stock swing arm, i want my tires to brake loose out the hole. It saves me from wheelieing. But once im going, i want no slip. I'm actually going to play with the weight in mine so i can launch in higher gears than 1st consistently but im afraid to toast the clutch. That's why i always had a ton of weight.

Oh okay Cody thanks and thanks jwr.  I can def tell that all my power is going down to the ground but maybe I am losing some at the big end who knows, would that show on the dyno via rpms? , i didn’t launch at the dunes much because I couldn’t keep the front end down and didn’t have my back brake hooked up at the time.  Cody when you tip it on the side do you have to drain the coolant? Or will it all stay in tipped to the side when I take the cover off

Edited by Ayesully810

1 hour ago, Ayesully810 said:

Oh okay Cody thanks and thanks jwr.  I can def tell that all my power is going down to the ground but maybe I am losing some at the big end who knows, would that show on the dyno via rpms? , i didn’t launch at the dunes much because I couldn’t keep the front end down and didn’t have my back brake hooked up at the time.  Cody when you tip it on the side do you have to drain the coolant? Or will it all stay in tipped to the side when I take the cover off

When my clutch slipped, it just reved and didnt do anything. But that's an extreme case.

The only thing i do is make sure the vent is higher than the fuel level. Nothing leaks besides a tiny bit from the clutch cover when you take it off.. htJ0BYm.jpg