Need advice from some experts

I think you could get a little better performance from a new set of 24cc domes with a slightly tighter squish, but its probably not worth the trouble.  If you went to higher compression domes you will get more torque and probably better rideability, but again, might not be worth the extra expense of race fuel.  I have a 421 cub but I am ported seval envious.  I would sacrifice some top end power for my engine to come on the pipe at 4.5K and run on pump fuel.

23 minutes ago, Ducman said:

I think you could get a little better performance from a new set of 24cc domes with a slightly tighter squish, but its probably not worth the trouble.  If you went to higher compression domes you will get more torque and probably better rideability, but again, might not be worth the extra expense of race fuel.  I have a 421 cub but I am ported seval envious.  I would sacrifice some top end power for my engine to come on the pipe at 4.5K and run on pump fuel.

There is nowhere to ride around here so I get away twice a year to Oklahoma. Spending the extra dough on race gas is no issue to me. Definitely the type of answer I was looking for as far as what to expect if I make this change.

After reading all this, this is my 2 cents. 

I wouldnt even worry about it, 79 hp with under 140 psi? Thats good.  Just cause it didnt make 90+ hp on redlines dyno dont let that worry you or ? things, especially if you are happy with how it runs, dont let dyno numbers get you all frazzled ive been there and its dumb.  yes if you up compression and run race fuel you will see some more toqure and hp but imo like bluebanshee said id leave it a pumper for a play bike i almost made a dumb decision and made my play bike i just finished race fuel AGAIN but thank god i was talked out of it, its not worth it. 

-tony

Edited by Ayesully810

After reading all this, this is my 2 cents. 
I wouldnt even worry about it, 79 hp with under 140 psi? Thats good.  Just cause it didnt make 90+ hp on redlines dyno dont let that worry you or ? things, especially if you are happy with how it runs, dont let dyno numbers get you all frazzled ive been there and its dumb.  yes if you up compression and run race fuel you will see some more toqure and hp but imo like bluebanshee said id leave it a pumper for a play bike i almost made a dumb decision and made my play bike i just finished race fuel AGAIN but thank god i was talked out of it, its not worth it. 
-tony

My last session here in town said those numbers looked good too. Gotta understand.... i see all these big numbers on the same motor and the first thing I think is... is something wrong? Like I said I’m happy with it..however I wouldn’t mind to see a little more torque. I would assume by upping compression, I run the risk of blowing head gaskets easier? Oh... and spending about 3x on fuel. Quite honestly, I can’t say I’m trying to compete with the next guys dyno numbers, I’m just trying to make this motor run the best it can. I really do appreciate your feedback. It’s nice to hear the flip side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What carbs you running? Do you know any details on the domes?i will tell you there is a lot to be had in porting. These cylinders are all over the place with port dimensions. You will gain a ton by matching port areas from side to side,changing ex port shape/width. Now that you have an assembled baseline on your dome you could send them in for measurements and get a tighter set cut . What base gasket you running. A lot of the time I’ll get the dome cut tight and play with the base gasket to get it in the sweet spot . I will never steer anyone away from good fuel. IMO you can get alot more creative compression/timing and power output. Key on these motors is don’t go crazy on a cruiser 

1 hour ago, sleeper06 said:

What carbs you running? Do you know any details on the domes?i will tell you there is a lot to be had in porting. These cylinders are all over the place with port dimensions. You will gain a ton by matching port areas from side to side,changing ex port shape/width. Now that you have an assembled baseline on your dome you could send them in for measurements and get a tighter set cut . What base gasket you running. A lot of the time I’ll get the dome cut tight and play with the base gasket to get it in the sweet spot . I will never steer anyone away from good fuel. IMO you can get alot more creative compression/timing and power output. Key on these motors is don’t go crazy on a cruiser 

35 PWK’s. Dome info... don’t know just 24’s. Base gasket .031.

If you don’t wanna broadcast where you got dome pm me. Make sure you are doing squish test the proper way . What you’re looking for is a good taper . So tight to sleeve you should have a smaller measurement then toward the center of the bore . If you have a taper let me know. I see no reason you can’t play with the base gasket to get it in the sweet spot for your setup. Everyone has there own opinions on taper/velocity/squish . 

15 hours ago, BlackandYellowBanshee said:

35 PWK’s. Dome info... don’t know just 24’s. Base gasket .031.

I believe your supposed to run .020" base gaskets with cub/serval cylinders, this would get your squish into the .040" range which is optimal.  It shouldn't hurt to leave it the way it is though.

On your race fuel comment, I also only go to the dunes a couple times a year, so the added cost of race fuel isn't that big of a deal.  I'd be tempted to just leave it the way it is if you like the way it runs, but higher compression domes with a better squish probably would be a good seat of the pants improvement.

3 hours ago, Ducman said:

I believe your supposed to run .020" base gaskets with cub/serval cylinders, this would get your squish into the .040" range which is optimal.  It shouldn't hurt to leave it the way it is though.

On your race fuel comment, I also only go to the dunes a couple times a year, so the added cost of race fuel isn't that big of a deal.  I'd be tempted to just leave it the way it is if you like the way it runs, but higher compression domes with a better squish probably would be a good seat of the pants improvement.

Well guys.... I’ve decided I’m going to go with smaller domes to tighten up the squish clearance. I’m definitely appreciative of everyone’s input even though I’m going against some of your guys’ recommendations. There’s more in this motor and I want to wake it up a bit more. I will have the shop run another dyno session and this time I’ll make sure they run a tq/rpms graph, per your guys’ request. I’ll post here or the dyno room the results if it helps you guys gauge improvements or if someone in the future has the same questions. It’ll be a month or so before it is complete Thanks for all the constructive feedback and while I’m wrenching on mine, I hope you all enjoy your spring rides before the heat sets in.

in re guards to the above comment ^ I am be wrong and correct me on this if I am carl, but going with smaller domes does not change the dome clearance necessarily, you can run a pump gas dome with a tighter squish am I right? 

Edited by Ayesully810

8 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

in re guards to the above comment ^ I am be wrong and correct me on this if I am carl, but going with smaller domes does not change the dome clearance necessarily, you can run a pump gas dome with a tighter squish am I right? 

Sorry to leave that part out... we will be changing base gaskets to .020. I don’t want to throw anyone off