Do we have to float the ground???

Hey guys....got to thinking about upgrading to LEDs up front. I know the banshee runs ac current. And I know LEDs run DC. My question is why do we have to float the ground in order to convert the power? Why won't just running a rectifier to convert the signal work? 

I only ask because that's how snowmobiles are. My sled runs ac current but is rectified to get it to output DC power to any accessories and the lighting circuit. Has anyone tried just running a rectifier?

Would actually like to NOT carry a battery. Just looking to run the lights when the bike is running. I do understand that they may flicker some at idle.....sleds do this too.......but honestly I don't hang out in the dark trying to run my banshee to light stuff up lol. I'm a trail guy.....so if my bikes running, it's not just sitting.

Floating the ground is easy.

You have 4 wires coming off most rectifiers, yellow, yellow, red, black.

First yellow goes to yellow on stator. 

Second yellow is floated ground. 

Red goes to + on battery

Black is ground.

It is also amazing how well google works for simple question that has been asked, documented and talked about for the past 20 years.

http://www.jlengineering.org/banshee-stator-dc-convers.html

or you could buy a dc convert stator from the albino.

14 minutes ago, ZillaFreak said:

Floating the ground is easy.

You have 4 wires coming off most rectifiers, yellow, yellow, red, black.

First yellow goes to yellow on stator. 

Second yellow is floated ground. 

Red goes to + on battery

Black is ground.

It is also amazing how well google works for simple question that has been asked, documented and talked about for the past 20 years.

http://www.jlengineering.org/banshee-stator-dc-convers.html

or you could buy a dc convert stator from the albino.

Zilla....I totally agree with the search....I looked. Didn't really find many answers to using it without a battery. And my question more so is about the rectifier being not connected to stator but to the wiring harness (guess I forgot to mention that).

If a rectifier requires 4 wires (ac+, chassis ground, DC+, and DC-) then why could I not just run the rectifier off of the exhisting lighting harness to only change over the headlight circuit to a DC voltage?

Just a thought....

A battery doesn't mean anything when doing DC. It is just a storage unit, it doesn't have to be there and nothing will change.

Follow that link I gave, it shows how to float the ground. You can hook up the rectifier to the wiring wiring harness, just needs to hook up to the correct wires from the stator.

The stator produces the AC power, just need a rectifier to convert to DC.

See below, just ignore the relay and breaker. 

Wiringdiagramdcconversion001.jpg