Air filters, with no box.

I like the idea of getting rid of the air box and just using 2 filters. 

Im not looking for any HP gain, just making the thing easier to work on.

Can anyone suggest a filter ?  Mainly ill be in dusty envirnment, and occasional mud puddles.  Id really like to be able to stay away from filters id have to oil. 

It has a single K&N filter in the box right now. 

If your in a dusty environment you'd probably be better off with a foam filter as I believe they filter out the small dust particles better than a K&N.  You will definitely have to go slow through mud puddles because you'll get mud and water splashing on open pod filters.  I think I would consider keeping the air box in your case.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, KC_Hubbs said:

I like the idea of getting rid of the air box and just using 2 filters. 

Im not looking for any HP gain, just making the thing easier to work on.

Can anyone suggest a filter ?  Mainly ill be in dusty envirnment, and occasional mud puddles.  Id really like to be able to stay away from filters id have to oil. 

It has a single K&N filter in the box right now. 

There is no such thing as a filter you don't have to oil. As others have said use foam if you ride dusty conditions. If the "puddles" are large enough to get the filters wet you really should stick with an airbox.

The more reading I do, the more I think i should just stick with a box.     My riding environment goes from dusty to muddy pretty quick. 

Can anyone tell me how they clean their K&N filters ?    I read about using Simply Green for cleaning, and ATF oil when done.  Any suggestions ?

Bucket of HOT soapy water, let it soak a while, shake em a bit under the water, then blow the water out, from the inside of the filter, let them air dry and oil them....

I did this after every riding trip.

I went to the Advance Auto today, and came across the K&N recharge kit for only $13.  I picked it up and i cleaned the filter earlier, its still drying right now.   The filter looked clean, but after i sprayed on the cleaner on it, it had some pretty nasty water coming off of it.