Straight Cut Gears

I have a few questions on these gears. Correct me if I am wrong, the straight cut gears vs the helical stock cut is to not side load the crank with the helical pattern? And they stock ones are helical likely for noise reduction?

What is the benefit of the ratio change from 2.68 to 2.86 to 1 on the gear sets? It seems to me you could do the same with sprockets and chain.

I went with them in my 521 serval. Builder said it's recommended for the side load regular gears have. I have stock ratio strait cuts. I'm not sure if it's needed. I just listened to a guy that does it for a living. No regrats.

I went with them in my 521 serval. Builder said it's recommended for the side load regular gears have. I have stock ratio strait cuts. I'm not sure if it's needed. I just listened to a guy that does it for a living. No regrats.
One day, I'll do the math for that bearing-load-straight-cut-stuff once and for all.

Envoyé de mon SM-G935W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ClaudeMachining said:

One day, I'll do the math for that bearing-load-straight-cut-stuff once and for all

And we will still see others ask over and over until they hear "they dont need it enough times" to justify being cheap and hurting their engines :'(

1 hour ago, trickedcarbine said:

They free up a few hp.

i could see .5hp but more than that seems hard for me to believe. i think the main reason for these engines using a helical gear was noise reduction, maybe just using up old surplus from when the engine was used in street bikes, just a guess. spur gears can be rather noisy and the faster they turn the louder they are. ever hear a street race car with a gear drive crank and cam. makes a terrible whining sound. similar to a manual transmission in reverse, only louder. reason most poeple dont notice much noise from straight cuts on their atv is because many times they have unsilenced pipes or just loud exhaust in general. reason most other 2strokes have factory straight cuts is likely because theyre easier and cheaper to make and noise reduction is no concearn