Factory Decal Installation

Schweet97Z

I have some factory decals coming for my LE bike. I’ve seen many different techniques to applying decals. I’d like be able to use water with some dish soap to be able to move them around and squeegee the water out once I have them where I like them. My question is doing it that way will I ruin the glue or am I OK doing that with factory Yamaha decals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some factory decals coming for my LE bike. I’ve seen many different techniques to applying decals. I’d like be able to use water with some dish soap to be able to move them around and squeegee the water out once I have them where I like them. My question is doing it that way will I ruin the glue or am I OK doing that with factory Yamaha decals?

There is a 3M spray. For the life of I can't remember name of it though. works on same principal as water and dish soap but dies not effect the decal glue.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

There is a 3M spray. For the life of I can't remember name of it though. works on same principal as water and dish soap but dies not effect the decal glue.

I’m not having any luck finding anything on 3m’s website regarding decal wet application. If the name comes back to you, please let me know.

I've applied decals with and without the soapy water method.  I've found that with the water method, the decals tend to come loose or curl up around the edges over time.  I think some of it depends on the decal.  The thicker the decal, the worse it is about turning loose at the edges.  I prefer the thinner decals like OEM.  Good luck.

I used a product called miter bond. Just like crazy glue but with a spay that instantly cures the glue. You don't need much just in the edge if decal is starting to peel. Tape every thing off and good to go. Will make your eyes burn and water if in a small area.

Any ideas on good product to re-apply graphics that are rolling and peeling?

I’m obviously no expert, but maybe this would work.

3M 77 Super Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol, Clear 16.75 Oz. Aerosol Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ735/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lMXNAbWVHF9TS

I use Rapid Tac and has always worked well. Never tried it on OEM graphics but I'm sure you'll be fine. As far as the 3M 77 to keep down peeling graphics, I've tried and never had any success. 

Cool thanks for the info!