triple cylinder stock case ignition / crank questions,..

camatv

i'm considering building a 3 cyl motor.  i have an old jig that was used long time ago along with a lot of cometic base gaskets.  so why not?

Im not sure on how to clock the crank shaft? all 180*  2 fire then one? or should i attempt triple offseting them?   

what ignition setup has worked and how was it trigger'd?

3 MSD ignitions with a trigger wheel on a flywhee stub? 

could i use some existing yamaha 3 cylinder motor's oem crank stator coils CDI?  i think this would work good if i could get it all lined out.  i can cut a taper to match if that would be necessary.  i am just not sure what yamaha 3 cylinder motors were out there  jet ski? snomo? 

the first one i am thinking of doing a 4 mill maybe even stock stroke long rod and just a 65mm bore stock cylinder setup.  unless i can find a triple cub or even T-rex 68 bore..

any help or suggestions would be great.  

2 hours ago, camatv said:

i'm considering building a 3 cyl motor.  i have an old jig that was used long time ago along with a lot of cometic base gaskets.  so why not?

Im not sure on how to clock the crank shaft? all 180*  2 fire then one? or should i attempt triple offseting them?   120

what ignition setup has worked and how was it trigger'd? 780 mach Z modded to fit bangshee shit

3 MSD ignitions with a trigger wheel on a flywhee stub? Although you can use MSD shit. Unless this is drag only with battery, the Mach Z shit is proven and simple

could i use some existing yamaha 3 cylinder motor's oem crank stator coils CDI?  i think this would work good if i could get it all lined out.  i can cut a taper to match if that would be necessary.  i am just not sure what yamaha 3 cylinder motors were out there  jet ski? snomo? 

the first one i am thinking of doing a 4 mill maybe even stock stroke long rod and just a 65mm bore stock cylinder setup.  unless i can find a triple cub or even T-rex 68 bore.. I have a VERY good start at a 7 triple cub. (I think, unless Cameron sold it which is very possible)

any help or suggestions would be great.  

Answers above to the best of my memory

If I was to do it again, Id have the crank build with a ROTAX mag end so that you could just bolt on the ignition parts rather than cannibalizing an OEM setup and a Rotax setup. JMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

Look up john whitehurst on fb. He was building and selling triple ignitions not that long ago. They use a banshee flywheel hub welded into a machz flywheel. Or you can do msd.

I think tim bond tried some different crank phasing but maybe that was 4 cylinder stuff.

21 hours ago, m671054 said:

Look up john whitehurst on fb. He was building and selling triple ignitions not that long ago. They use a banshee flywheel hub welded into a machz flywheel. Or you can do msd.

I think tim bond tried some different crank phasing but maybe that was 4 cylinder stuff.

That was on the 4cyl.. they now fire like 2 twins. Saves life of the crank

Wow!!

someone mentioning phasing a crank shaft

I picked up a couple triple Kawasaki covers at a swap meet years ago, 90 degree phasing on each bank

Talk with the rd experts and they run with their tails between their legs when you mention that phrase

i started building a set of modified rd  cases, years back, where I had moved the rod centers apart and machined the crank halves down to enable a bigger bore and offset bored the cases to the ignition side and with the stroke changed, I was in the mid 700,s on two cylinders 

somewhere along the line, I put aside but would like to return to it and finish the flywheel, dropping one magnet

All my notes and the work now sits in a box waiting another attempt to finish

id like to hear more what you guys have done, I’ve seen some wild builds on the banshee cheetah forums from past

Next, i have a 85 RZ 350 dirt tracker and just run the stock ignition with a battery, but recently purchased a bat pack unit but haven’t tried it yet

I’ve noticed several sellers on eBay selling the banshee complete units with the ac box pushing 200 watts that will work the lights without a battery, I’m guessing this might be something usable for street use in an rd engine, providing I have a heads up on the plate figment to the case and a modification of the taper bore, I’ve read they are not the same?

we did a similar modification many  years ago on the XS 650 engines using an internal rotor ignition from a 360 mx by machining the taper bore to replace total loss points for flat track racing

i can’t swallow a 500 dollar cdi ignition for an rd when I’m staring at the banshee price, does anyone know what I’m up against here, Im presently digging all my rd parts out to get them built and sold

• 10 months later...