Leakdown test

brock42

I'm in the process of putting a exhaust on my 2005 banshee and I decided I would do a leakdown test on it. I pumped it up to 6 psi and after 6 min I had a Lil under 5psi. I sprayed it down and found the leak it's leaking at the base of the jugs. What should I do should I pull the motor and replace the gasket or should I do a complete top end. 

18 minutes ago, brock42 said:

I'm in the process of putting a exhaust on my 2005 banshee and I decided I would do a leakdown test on it. I pumped it up to 6 psi and after 6 min I had a Lil under 5psi. I sprayed it down and found the leak it's leaking at the base of the jugs. What should I do should I pull the motor and replace the gasket or should I do a complete top end. 

I had the same problem. Check torque on those nuts. I’m guessing it’s just the gasket. Pull the top end and use a better quality gasket. I also used copper gasket spray. Not necessary, but I think it gives a piece of mind. Before you pull everything off. Run a compression check and see how strong your motor is. Better to pull the top end once and take care of everything then to pull it twice if the motor is nearing rebuild. If compression is good, change that gasket and be done.

that compression is good for stock with no head mod.  5 psi after 6 mins is a pass

for peace of mind you could just pull the cylinder up from where its leaking at (with keeping the piston in the bore still) pull the gasket up a bit, clean surface, put a little rtv down on both sides, torque it back down and let it sit bet the leak will be gone the next day.  Sounds small.  Doubt that leak will do anything

44 minutes ago, brock42 said:

Thought about that but the leak is on the inside where the two cylinders almost touch so it'll be hard to get in there. I may just pull the motor and throw a new gasket on. Just a pain if you know what I mean. 

Why would you pull the motor out of the frame just to put on a cylinder base gasket?

No you can do the whole top end in the bike. Just pull the plastics and gas tank off. Also you can delete the base gasket and just use RTV black or gray. It gives you a little more bottom and top end compression. Enough to feel a little extra kick in power, and I’ve never had any problems with it. Just clean both surfaces with brake clean on a towel and use a thin layer of RTV. But honestly like they said that is a nothing leak. You can see if it even affects the way it runs by spraying starting fluid at it while idling, it’ll either rev up or bog down if it affects it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Derpy Drifter said:

No you can do the whole top end in the bike. Just pull the plastics and gas tank off. Also you can delete the base gasket and just use RTV black or gray. It gives you a little more bottom and top end compression. Enough to feel a little extra kick in power, and I’ve never had any problems with it. Just clean both surfaces with brake clean on a towel and use a thin layer of RTV. But honestly like they said that is a nothing leak. You can see if it even affects the way it runs by spraying starting fluid at it while idling, it’ll either rev up or bog down if it affects it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

🤔