Completely baffled, running issue, can not figure this thing out...

6 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

if it ends up being electrical, thats one reason i gut ALL the electrical components and run a cut wire harness.  makes electrical diag. easier and cleans the bike up.  

I hear ya man, Im cheap so I figured I could make my own/trim mine down, but maybe there is a broken connection somewhere I missed.

So some new stuff.

Just for shit and giggles, I threw my old, stock setup on.  Stock reeds/cages, stock jugs, stock pistons, stock head, new plugs, just to see if it made a difference.  I figured either it was going to run the same and rule out the porting, or run better and id be on the right track, either way id get a result.  

So after spinning it around the block, I think its safe to say its not the porting, as it runs the same way, bogs down in the mid, wont accelerate etc etc, which is great news in the sense that its prob something stupid, and I can run the ported heads after all

So now im leaning towards ignition, weak spark, breaking up under load kind of thing, as messing with the carbs made no difference in my previous diag.  This coil i got has the caps that use the smaller, non resistor cap style, i.e you unscrew the nipple off the plug and run it that way, I remember Kevin mentioning something about it being different then his, its def not OEM, ebay special of about 50 bux from that motorcity fella so maybe that has something to do with it, but I did swap coils with my buddys bike previously before i had Kevin take a look, and it made no difference.

Gonna check out the kill switch as per dano3's idea, my switch is broken on the headlight adjustment, maybe it let water in there.  also, i may get myself a drag harness/simplified harness.

But getting somewhere, albeit small steps

edit: found the link, this is the coil I had purchased back before all this dickery happened, as i was having an issue running only on one bank, this seemed to fix it, and it rode great.  anyone have any insight/problems with these coils?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-BANSHEE-350-ignition-COIL-spark-caps-wires-HIGH-OUTPUT-1987-2006/271645617959?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by bikerbill2021

On 2/12/2018 at 3:31 PM, Ayesully810 said:

if it ends up being electrical, thats one reason i gut ALL the electrical components and run a cut wire harness.  makes electrical diag. easier and cleans the bike up.  

Yea i like to strip the TORS/ parking brake junk to the splices and check the condition of the splice while I'm there. Bikerbill have you inspected those ground circuit splices when you were cleaning up the harness? usually underneath white electrical tape. Also might be something worth checking if you cant swap harnesses with your buddys. You could even run a loaded voltage drop test across each ground circuit to really rule out a ground issue since the frame point grounds are secure/clean. 

if it were me I would diagnosing electrical stuff..

1. throw your buddy's coil and caps on your bike and see if that does the trick, if not try the coil, nice dice? try his stator. exhaust every electrical component with known working parts, THEN

2. buy a new cut harness from Kompulsive concepts and run a just kill switch tether. get rid of every electrical thing on there tors, lights, parking brake etc.  (id do this anyways)

4 hours ago, dano3 said:

Yea i like to strip the TORS/ parking brake junk to the splices and check the condition of the splice while I'm there. Bikerbill have you inspected those ground circuit splices when you were cleaning up the harness? usually underneath white electrical tape. Also might be something worth checking if you cant swap harnesses with your buddys. You could even run a loaded voltage drop test across each ground circuit to really rule out a ground issue since the frame point grounds are secure/clean. 

Werd, yea I inspected every crimp underneath all the factory tape, as at first I thought it was more fuckery from the PO's shenanigans, but then found it was OEM, figured it couldnt hurt to check them out tho.  good call on the voltage drop, may be my next stop.

4 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

if it were me I would diagnosing electrical stuff..

1. throw your buddy's coil and caps on your bike and see if that does the trick, if not try the coil, nice dice? try his stator. exhaust every electrical component with known working parts, THEN

2. buy a new cut harness from Kompulsive concepts and run a just kill switch tether. get rid of every electrical thing on there tors, lights, parking brake etc.  (id do this anyways)

See thats what so ass backwards about all this, b/c i swapped everything from my buddies bike to mine minus the harness, kill switch, and i believe CDI, and it made no difference at the time.  I had a crappy ricky stator in the motor when i sent it to Kevin, and he swapped in an OEM one and then back to mine just to rule it out, and told me if I had it (which i did thankfully) to swap the OEM one back in.

Still, electric shit breaks, we all know it, so everything must be taken into consideration.  I have to put my buddies new carbs on his banshee, so ill prob steal some of his parts in the mean time and see if i can narrow it down, now the question is if i should return the motor back to the ported work, or leave it stock for now.

now the question is if i should return the motor back to the ported work, or leave it stock for now.

Leave it stock for now, the issue to me sounds electrical after reading the whole post, but the fewer variables the better. I highly recommend buying a brand new harness from Kevin Gallindo aka South Texas Banshee. I have one and the quality is great and price is awesome. He’s on eBay and Facebook. Either that or completely unwrap your harness and get rid of anything non essential to the motor running. But honestly for 100ish bucks, buy one of Kevin Gs harnesses and save a big headache.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Derpy Drifter said:

Leave it stock for now, the issue to me sounds electrical after reading the whole post, but the fewer variables the better. I highly recommend buying a brand new harness from Kevin Gallindo aka South Texas Banshee. I have one and the quality is great and price is awesome. He’s on eBay and Facebook. Either that or completely unwrap your harness and get rid of anything non essential to the motor running. But honestly for 100ish bucks, buy one of Kevin Gs harnesses and save a big headache.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100 ish bucks for a harness? uhhh..