Completely baffled, running issue, can not figure this thing out...

no way in hell i would pay 500bones for someone else to sort it out. i wouldnt even pay 50 but thats just me. youll figure it out sooner or later and being a auto mechanic gives u some knowledge that will be pertinant.  i would of guessed electrical problem but u said u ruled out every possible electrical component. pull head off and look around is what i would do at this point. take a few measurments of stuff and see if anything seems odd. i dont believe your cyl pressure in itself has anything to do with it

LOL sheerider....  :whistling:

Do yourself a favor before spending any kind of big bucks.... 

Check your squish if you didnt already....

or even better yet, Try and see if you can get a loeaner stock head (uncut and un molested) to test out and see if it cures or improves on how the bike run.

Youd only be about the XXth motor  to run into some kind of trouble that ended up with a head/dome  issue.... ill leave it at that..

14 hours ago, sheerider11 said:

An hjr motor that doesn't run right?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ride.race.live said:

LOL sheerider....  :whistling:

Do yourself a favor before spending any kind of big bucks.... 

Check your squish if you didnt already....

or even better yet, Try and see if you can get a loeaner stock head (uncut and un molested) to test out and see if it cures or improves on how the bike run.

Youd only be about the XXth motor  to run into some kind of trouble that ended up with a head/dome  issue.... ill leave it at that..

Hmmm, so is HJR bad news then?  The guy has been super helpful and the prices weren't bad, hence why I went with him

10 hours ago, gusto said:

I don’t know where you are in Arizona but if your close to Jerry Hall I would bring it there. The guys a genius.

D&M is also in Arizona and specialize in banshees 

I'm out in the east valley of Phoenix, San Tan Valley to be precise, I was looking around for banshee shops, but they seem to have all closed down.  But I'll look into those two for future reference, thanks for the heads up

16 hours ago, Sandking said:

Was a leak down test ever done? Sounds like the head leaked originally which could have caused damage. The gaskets around the reeds always leak unless some 1211 was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No leak down test yet, thats the next step, however Im out of town for the next few weeks for christmas, so sadly have to put this one on hold.  Ill update once I get back and dig deeper into it, thanks for all the input everyone, enjoy the holidays

On 12/15/2017 at 11:32 PM, bikerbill2021 said:

Hmmm, so is HJR bad news then?  The guy has been super helpful and the prices weren't bad, hence why I went with him

To keep things short sweet and to the point.....

There's been previous repeating issues mainly focused in the head work done on certain builds not working well with the porting done which end up causing odd issues like the bike falling on its face mid power band, bogging under load ect...

1- Do an air leak test, this should be your #1 on the to do list.

2-  verify your squish on the head...

Edited by ride.race.live

As stated above. For reference for squish as we used the same builder and pump gas head
0.062 size solder
Squish at cylinder wall 0.53 and 0.55 towards spark plug both cylinders. This measurement was using an oem base gasket and timing set as 0 degrees.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2018 at 10:22 AM, JimJones said:

Just read the whole thread I wanna know what happened?  Any progress yet?

On 2/5/2018 at 1:27 PM, Ayesully810 said:

Yes. hes made great progress I believe he sold his banchee and bought a nice built blaster 240 liquid cooled

On 2/5/2018 at 10:54 PM, JimJones said:

Ahhh that sucks.  I read page after page wondering what the problem ended up being.

Haha no I still have it and no no blaster replacement, haven't ridden one of those since I was 13 I think

All right fellas, I'm not going to BS you so be easy on me with this, I want to be clear that this update is no means meant to harp on HJR or take any of the info you guys gave me in vain, as I appreciate all the input and help, but due to having very little time and just being absolutely tired of fucking with it, to the point where I was just getting pissed looking at the thing, I had had enough and sent the motor back with the carbs on it out to Kevin at HJR, to have him figure it out, as it was his porting setup I was running.  

So, after I came back home from seeing the family for xmas, I awaited eagerly for a phone call from Kevin, which sooner or later I received.  After running through a few things like swapping stator, leak down test, squish test (more on this later) he concluded that the carb needles were the problem.  He swapped in the Toomey needles which are a bit longer then stock, and stated that it runs great now, spins the tires on the pavement etc.  I was a little in disbelief as this was one of the things I tried by swapping my buddies needles, and was a bit shocked that it ran so much better.  He assured me all was good, he stated he did a squish test and got around .065, which i though a bit strange, thinking I should be a bit higher then that.  He stated he was running pump gas, where I wanted to run AVGAS, and I asked him if this would be an issue.  He told me If I wanted to I could have him shave more off, but he would charge me, and said I could either do it myself or put a cool head on it, but stated it runs great the way it is, so I decided against that for the time being and had him ship the motor back.  

When I got it back and installed, I cant say I was surprised that it still ran more or less the same.  It seemed a bit better, and I got it to hit the pipe a bit by easing onto the throttle, stabbing it would bog it, but still more of the same.  Tried stepping down the mains from a 330 to 320, dropping the needle in to the lowest setting (#6 on the toomey needles) thinking due to him being around sea level and me being around 1000 ASL, that would help, and it seemed to a lil, but not much.  Tried both pump gas and AVGAS, but the result was the same.  

So rather then shaving down my head, a friend of mine actually had a mod quad cool head kicking around with 20cc domes that I could have, so I threw it on to see if it helped, still the same.  

Then for the hell of it, swapped in some new plugs and closed the gap from the .025 he recommend to around .022-.023.  Im only testing it behind my shop, same place in that vid, so i can only get to about 3rd.  I actually got it to rip a bit, I was surprised, but two more passes, and it started doing the same.  Swapped in another set of plugs, got two or three good passes, same thing.  I removed the boost tube I had on it for the stock cross over, and made the fuel lines as straight I could, thinking it was possibly starving the bowls, no change.  So it seems its just following out these B8ESs, I even tried some B9ESs I had lying around, made no difference.  

So honestly fellas, I shelved it for the time being.  I was so close to saying fuck it and selling it the way it was for stupid cheap just so I wouldnt have to look at it anymore, but I couldn't do that to it, banshee's are glorious machines, and I want to do right by it.  

Some may say to contact HJR again, ask for a refund etc etc, honestly Kevin is a great guy and helped me out, so it is what it is.  But what ride.race.live said above about how there have been reported issues in the past with HJR porting falling on its face in the mid, makes me ponder that the porting really might be to blame, even though Kevin swears it ran great for him.

Im not sure, but I'm leaning toward reverting the motor back to the stock setup and seeing if it makes any difference.  

Def a long read, but thats it in a nut shell.  I know Im prob going to get some flack for my decisions, but I didnt want to leave you guys or anyone else having a similar problem hanging, hate reading through a thread where you have almost identical issues only for it to never get a conclusion.